Are posters here HAPPIER having few men in SS Forums?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I meant to be in bed by now...OOPS!

TOR,

Since we don't have a "Like" button yet, I have to say... :bow :bow :bow

Very good point! ;) :hugs

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you want more guys on here just put up denim deb's avatar on every post and that should do it.

By the way I came through the women's lib movement in the 60's and am all in favor of letting women do more.

A very wise man once told me if you play stupid long enough your wife will do more work.

Now before all you women start jumping up and down at that last statement just look at the past history of civilization. Women always did the most work and men hunted and sat around looking important. Ancient civilization knew what they were doing.

bob

PS - it doesn't make any difference who you are if we all help one another.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe I need to change my avatar?:lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A very wise man once told me if you play stupid long enough your wife will do more work.
THAT must be a legacy passed down through generations, as every man I've known seems to know it.... :rolleyes: The downside of that is that men also earn the contempt of their women for their stupidity and laziness. :/

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've noticed (well, it's spring) some guys have started posting here again, and some new guys have signed up. The season gets everybody focused on outdoor stuff again, everyone's real active on the home place.

Anyhow, I applaud the presence of these males recently. I say, let's encourage them... and try to keep 'em here.

:thumbsup

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great thread!

One of the reasons this forum has traditionally had a higher % of females is because our #1 source of new members has been BYC, which tends to be a demographic which is heavily skewed toward females.

As SufficientSelf continues to develop its own standing and as more traffic comes in from Google, other search engines, blog, social media links, etc. the more I'd expect we'd see more male involvement.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, I didn't read all the posts but.... I think that the type of woman that would take on so much work to be self sufficient, would not NEED a man as much as many women would. I see it as a partnership. I am not physically able to do allot of work, however my DH couldn't do it without my help. I'm the "skills" person... he's the "barter" person! I can, plant the garden, raise the livestock, build the fires and can the goods. DH can barter for fire wood, barter to keep the cars and trucks going, find "useful" items and pay the bills. If we were a pioneer family, we would have to own trading post! What I couldn't do.... he would trade or barter for! He can lug the feed and do physical labor (witch I can't) but I can build a chicken coop and make sure we' re fed on what we have.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would think that slowly more and more men will join this forum as technology advances and becomes more useful even for those who don't like to learn from a forum, those who would rather work with a neighbor on a project than go online and read about it. At least the men I know would use that route first.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Alright, Disclaimer... (I am not the most sensitive and caring person).... Take this with a grain of salt...

I am one of the men Joel is talking about...

I just recently came here. I have been really into making myself self sufficient. I looked for a good forum because sometimes it is good to bounce ideas off people who don't think I am a crazy hillbilly. That being said there are some really good topic titles but when I go into them that when I realized that maybe this was more good housekeeping (no offense) than what I was looking for. I am not saying that I don't appreciate some of those useful tips. I am saying that It seems that peoples interests are slanted that way... That is fine it just might not be my cup of tea.

That being said people think men don't like talking online?????? WHAT????? I am part of Archerytalk and FTE (ford truck enthusiasts) being very male heavy and very active. I heard archerytalk is #9 largest forum in the world. FTE is a great place where you have a problem people will help... it is very friendly.

As for me I think the difference is that I go on for an issue or just cruise through if nothing catches my attention I am not typing and starting convos...

Also think about when someone does a search what is gonna bring them here. I believe this is a good site and could be better with a male presence. Just get the whole view ya know?

And don't get me wrong with this post I love you ladies... Sometimes I much rather talk to you then the good ole boys.

thanks

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
After reading that, I think it would be great if you started and maintained such threads that would attract a more male following, much like Joel has done.

I know it's a slow start without much participation but everything is....when this forum began it was all a slow start. I was among the first and we basically had to start throwing topics out there to see if anyone bit on them...if they did, wahoo! If they didn't, well, the subject just died. Eventually we started seeing more people with more varied interests.

More guys participating means more guys participating, if you know what I mean. Start a thread about archery, trucks, wood working~us gals will try to chime in and maybe even their husbands will finally take an interest in their forum interaction as well.