Are posters here HAPPIER having few men in SS Forums?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a male/female job division of sorts at our place. We both can cook, we both can use power tools - but it's just easier to say 'that's not my department' when the oil needs changing in the car. :D And he'd rather not have to make supper.

Most of the SS stuff is classified as my department. I like to read and research. I tell him whenever I find something interesting. DH is a member here, and has answered one post, maybe two when someone had an automotive question. But his typing skills aren't the best, plus it's basketball season. :/ He doesn't hunt or fish, but with the new shop section, he may be looking (hopefully posting) soon.

I don't hit the forums like some people. Some forums don't want you to post links to other forums that would possibly take members away. But there surely are situations where SS could be brought up and then the link to this forum posted.

I also think that as time goes on with more posting in the new sections, more relevant topics, maybe more guys will show up. For a while, the forum seemed like it was more of a social club - which is okay! We want to have friends here. But I like reading what the new members are doing and what questions they have re: SS.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
I come into all this SS stuff more from tha angle of loving nature, loving country life, liking to do things with my hands (as well as my mind), appreciating eating healthy-raised food, enjoying living in a neighborhood where people know one another. Stuff like that. More the "carrot" than the "stick". My lifestyle just happens to coincide a lot with what preppers seem to be interested in.
Oh. You said it perfectly. That's how I feel. I didn't really think about the prepper concept until I got here and started realizing that if I am going to do it, I might as well do it in such a way that if SHTF I'm prepared. It won't take any more/less effort for the two to mesh.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll bite just what is ment by the term 'prepper'?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
We have a male/female job division of sorts at our place. We both can cook, we both can use power tools - but it's just easier to say 'that's not my department' when the oil needs changing in the car. :D And he'd rather not have to make supper.

Most of the SS stuff is classified as my department. I like to read and research. I tell him whenever I find something interesting. DH is a member here, and has answered one post, maybe two when someone had an automotive question. But his typing skills aren't the best, plus it's basketball season. :/ He doesn't hunt or fish, but with the new shop section, he may be looking (hopefully posting) soon.

I don't hit the forums like some people. Some forums don't want you to post links to other forums that would possibly take members away. But there surely are situations where SS could be brought up and then the link to this forum posted. THIS forum won't stand for links that might take members away, every page hit and registered user means Ad money to someone [Niffty on this board] Since the threads here wander all over the place it is not all that usefull for research and information. Some other boards have like Halls of Fame where very usefull posts are 'sticky' and listed under usefull headings. I myself keep what I call a grimoire on my computer consisting of links to specific material that i want to save and short notes telling why I saved it. Few entries are from this SS board. My favorites bar is reserved for entire websites.~gd

I also think that as time goes on with more posting in the new sections, more relevant topics, maybe more guys will show up. For a while, the forum seemed like it was more of a social club - which is okay! We want to have friends here. But I like reading what the new members are doing and what questions they have re: SS.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
~gd said:
I'll bite just what is ment by the term 'prepper'?
One who is preparing, prepping for any event that may require emergency supplies.
Thanks for the reply and Info.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I joined this forum a few months back, and other than you and I there are a few other guys that drift in and out. Most of them bailed fairly recently when some things went on. I never knew or wanted to know the details of what all went on, it seemed to be a lot of "she said" type of stuff.
The Q, I think, isn't so much in getting them involved here as in keeping them around.

My own participation here is a bit sporadic, and likely to only get more so as time goes by.

Back in the past, when there was a family farm and my family did get together, all the men gathered on the porch to drink beer, smoke and talk about man-stuff while all the women gathered in the kitchen to smoke drink coffee and talk about women-stuff. Whenever a man went into the kitchen, say to get refills, he always felt rather awkward and out of place in that room full of women. I think lots of men feel the same way here.

Or, to be more blunt, a bit less "girl-world" politics would go a long way towards keeping the menfolk around.
There is something to be said for this comment and I for one support it. Everyone needs some space and this is no different. Men do things differently than women, we think differently and we are "wired differently".

I noticed that the very same thing goes on during coffee hour at the church I attend. The women sit together and the men sit together. Some tables have both but that is by choice. Everyone is comfortable with that arrangement.
Since I don't have any family here, I have one friend and that is WW. She is the only person I can hang around with because all of the other women in this area are either: a) married b) under age or c) involved with alcohol/drugs and I am not interested in getting involved with any of that. And, anyone with good sense knows "not to mess around in someone elses garden"

There is one gal on this forum who uses the term "man-chores" which she does because she is alone on her farm. She does all the things that have to be done and still manages to keep in touch with her children who are all grown. Doing all the work by your self does not leave you much time in the day for anything much enjoyable but completing your chores and all gives one a very deep and pleasant sense of accomplishment if you ask me. There really is no such thing as "man-chores" or women chores when you live alone...just chores. Heck, I have sewing machines and like I said, the parachute riggers in the army and the navy taught me how to use them. I do my own laundry and what all. Yes, WW helps with chores around the farm and that makes life a lot more pleasant.

In all, getting folks to participate in the forum requires having time and resources to get on the internet and that can be tricky when you have so much to do. I'd say the men are out there but as Touelle says,
Touelle said:
Or, to be more blunt, a bit less "girl-world" politics would go a long way towards keeping the menfolk around.
I think that is important in keeping folks here and interested.

Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had these prep, vs. SS, vs. emergency preps vs. paranoia survival preps alot on this forum.

So many handle their 'bit of lives' so different.

I prep. For certain reasons. Ice storms where I live. Prep for hard times and save money so I can survive. Prep a bit in gun/ammo dept to hunt like we do. and all that.

but I can't and won't go into the survival prep of underground bunkers, MREs for survival for whatever and all that mess.

I live. I take advantage of life's offerings and enjoy the heck out of life. I vacation and more. I want all that. I won't put every dollar into 'surviving and prepping and all that' just to prepare for something that might never happen.

Many on the board prep. Just how far we take it is so individual and personal to location etc.

Prep is great and we chat on the board alot about it but don't forget that living in the moment is also important. not the fact it is rough out there, but there are tons of great things to make one smile :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are man chores and gal chores. It is life and how life has evolved. I for one leave the super heavy hard stuff to hubby cause he is stronger than me. He leaves certain gal things I actually kinda enjoy even though chores to me, which I can handle easily.

so yea I can easily see a man chore and a gal chore. But we all know we can do each if needed.

girl world politics? :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have to agree. Or NO politics at all...just the ability to speak frankly in normal conversational tones~which varies from person to person~without someone's sensibilities or belief systems getting lit up. Just like one would talk over the gate or on the porch.

There are a few men on these forums who, when they speak, I listen....I don't care if they are brief and to the point on their phrasing. I don't care that they don't push the hug smiley every time they say a hard truth...Heck, I'd like to be the same way without stepping on someone's toes. If toes are that sensitive, wear steel-toed boots when you come to work~but still come and participate, learn, laugh and grow.

If a guy says it without dressing it up, it seems fine~but if I say it I'm being "snarky". I'd never even heard of that term until I came to these forums...but my guy friends would not find me "snarky", they enjoy our farm-sensible conversations. At the bottom of things, I'm not a girly girl and I don't fit in with girly girls but I fit in quite nicely with manly men. Comes from having to be dad and mom to my boys, living off grid and working "like a man" in my formative years, you name it, whatever the reasons...it is who I am.

It would be nice to have more men on the forum.

Latest posts