Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It was very good and I have since made another and served it ahead of catfish cooked in butter, which was very tasty and filling. DH had already made a huge cornbread and I think he ate all of it, even though I told him I would like a bread or cake and I had the rest of the nut flour and had just got the Carbquick. But if I can keep on sneaking in good choices we will both be better for it.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Finally remembered to get a new battery for the scale that was in the bathroom. Wasn’t even sure it would work regardless. I guess my clothes and water weight weights about 5 pounds.
Yard flooded. DH has a potbelly pig in the corner framed up with cattle panels and he was planning on continuing making pens with cattle panels, the length of the yard, both ways and keep moving the pig or other animals and follow them with vegetables. I told him a few more feet and the pig would be standing in water.
DD1 has 2 of our dogs and is now asking if we ready for the dogs. I guess DH’s cattle panel idea might be helpful.
Trouble caught an escaped rabbit yesterday so DH is all happy with her. I had caught one the previous night by just walking right up to it and bringing it in. Trouble saw me holding a rabbit so maybe she got the hint 😂.
It’s the middle of the morning and already my 2 oldest have sent me several messages each. Both about dogs to an extent. Here I am just trying to figure out how to care for several older dogs for the rest of their lives with such a small house and DS is getting a Doberman/German Shepherd mix. Thing is DIL hated the last pup and DD has him. If she hates this one we might be in trouble. Hopefully the pup comes home when they need me to go over to babysit so I can paper train and outside train him so DIL doesn’t need to flip out on him.
So safe to say I will be doing inside chores today and maybe grocery shopping.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made a mistake!! I told DH I think about cleaning up the front bedroom, which has become the disaster room, and turning it into a sewing room and he says…how about we work on that today? Okay so I tell him first let’s clean the table on the back porch so we can put the table saw then let’s put the generator where the clothes dryer was so it’s all ready to go, then we can fight over where we will put the attic ladder that he found on sale for $100. I have a feeling it will be really hard to organize the shop but done it before. He said he wants a portable island in the kitchen for extra knives and pots. Grr. I need less stuff in the kitchen…not more.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard about yet another food distribution but I chose to sit it out because I truly don’t have room in the kitchen but the manager of the Catholic Community Center is an old friend and honorary niece to DH and now a neighbor and she stopped by with produce. So much produce. Never in my life have I had like 20 head of lettuce and 15 sacks of sweet potatoes and probably the same amount of carrots.
I wanted to try to keep 4 heads of lettuce because of the amount of salads I have been making. I figured 5 small sacks of sweet potatoes was the most we could go through and the same with carrots. I am trying to avoid root crops after all. So last night, while we went out to check on my farm and DH’s place, we were delivering produce to various people in small quantities.
Last stop was at an old friend of DH, who is a paraplegic but he doesn’t seem to know he is crippled. We ended up playing a board game called Trouble. I never had played it. For a while I was losing but everyone else was jumping each other and I told them my stragedy was to stay where I am safe so no one can jump me. They all laughed because I couldn’t move at all. But I watched what they were doing and by the time I got a 6 (finally) I flew ahead and ended up winning. I guess it was fun except for the cigarettes.
Been waiting for a call to get interviewed for a bridge job again. I called the parish barn and civil service and the latter told me more than she probably should….that of all the candidates I was the most qualified but until the foreman decides that I am just a candidate like everyone else. I do know how to operate 2 of our 3 bridges and I could have known all 3 except my ex didn’t want me on his bridge. Fortunately for me he is now totally disabled and off the bridge because that could complicate things for me. I just want my nice, cushy job back. I can do things on my off hours if I have a job that isn’t even a job. I have done it before. Also it’s a 7&7 job so on my week off I can grab a few nursing shifts if I don’t have to have the vaccine. I did pay for my license; just in case but I haven’t paid my liability insurance until I know I am going to work. If I go back to the parish my ex will be terrified that I will start writing again. It’s a great fear of his that I actually publish something. 😂
So today we need to set up a brooder outside for the ducklings because they keep escaping from the wading pool we set up in DH’s trailer living room under the brooder that has the survivors of the chicks.
Well DH doesn’t have proper locking mechanisms on the rabbits and too many of them have escaped. I went outside and a recent escapee was just munching on grass and I went right up to him and laid my hand on his back and when he tried to dart, I collected him and came inside. DH and Trouble saw what I was holding and I placed him in an empty cage. The following night Trouble caught an escapee at my farm and I took credit because she had seen my catch. So the following night I hear a rabbit screaming when DH was outside and he returned to the house and Trouble and I see the rabbit and he said he couldn’t be outdone by a woman and a dog. I just discovered we getting cages and rabbits…6 of them for $60 total because someone wants out of the rabbit business. He is doing something wrong because we should be seeing babies. I don’t know if he is over feeding or what. But I will give him a pep talk because that’s some lean meat and cheap to raise.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So are any of y’all rabbit experts here and can tell me what is the most likely problem that stops rabbits from reproducing?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So are any of y’all rabbit experts here and can tell me what is the most likely problem that stops rabbits from reproducing?
Not a true expert but some experience. @Chic Rustler probably is a good one to ask.

Check their body condition to see if they're overweight. That's pretty common, especially if they are free fed pellets. At one time I calculated 1 Tablespoon pellets per pound of body weight plus free-feed hay (and it was a lot of hay!!) for non-producing rabbits.

My rabbits didn't produce litters for over a year. It turned out to be rats eating the kits as they were born. :sick:somad I haven't raised rabbits since.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew up poor, and this mindset was the main thing standing between me and being healthy. It took a lot of doctors bills to get over it really. My mantra was "I am not a garbage disposal." It took a long time - years.

Now when I'm grocery shopping I'm saying "I'm either going to pay for groceries or doctors."
Its a fact that poor people usually have poor diets, real food costs too much. Long shelf life food (read that shelf death food) is cheap, plentiful, quick to prepare and is waiting patiently on the shelf in even convenience stores.