Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am on my first of 4 nights. Last night was extra, in more ways than one. I am on a little break and waiting for my vitals so I can finish up a few things before getting ready for morning and ordering the meds.
DD asked me to pick her up at the ex’s house and I said we staying on the other side of the bayou because I saw someone was throwing away an ironing board so we picked it up but I can’t close it and then fed my farm and then DH’s farm and took the ironing board inside so I can use it for sewing. Just had to bring the top for washing. Free is always nice.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday DH was seen by the cardiologist and at first he was going to get shocked back into a normal rhythm but then they decided on medication. He left the room and the nurse came back in and said he was stopping one med and putting him on Narvasc and Digoxin. I don’t know why Digoxin shocked me so much. DH must have been looking at me. He thought I was opposed but really I was just shocked. I had to think it through is all. So I was very careful with his pill planner and told him to make 100% sure he gets the days right for the next three days.
We came home and took a nap after the appointment and then we hit the garden brought in yellow squash and green beans and blanched them both. So more put up in the freezer and I am cooking green beans with ham and onions right now and making a crockpot squash cake with keto pancake mix and about 8 eggs. DH was talking about culling a few useless rabbits. Would be nice to roast some kind of meat to go with the food I am cooking. Even a sausage link would be great. 🤷‍♀️
So I checked DH’s pulse and then told him to take his meds. We almost had a fistfight when I told him to show me his phone so I can just look at the clock on the front. He tried to help me by pulling up the stopwatch. He didn’t understand why I couldn’t check his pulse with that. Poor thing. Can’t teach an old dog (me) new tricks.
I can’t deal much with DH’s method of gardening because it’s so messy. He believes in a traditional garden with rows and I prefer my moms method with heavy mulch to control the grass and weeds. I swear I kept thinking a snake would pass right between my legs yesterday. I pulled grass and weeds as I harvested while he just harvested and it looked like I wasn’t doing anything. I brought a shower chair in the garden to sit down while harvesting and DH covered more ground than me. I passed through the row he had covered and managed to find about 8 yellow squash he had missed but he still brought more vegetables inside. Maybe next time I go in the garden I bring a bucket for the grass for free animal food before we harvest for ourselves.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually didn’t want to reply. Something is wrong with my account and I can’t update my journal as normal.
Well my tricycle has air in the tires. I don’t know if the gears are okay but I hope I can ride it late this afternoon. It is currently 94 degrees F. The basket isn’t on. At this point I am willing to locate a bike shop to finish everything up because I just want to ride already. Poor DH. What I put him through!!
So I am hell bent on organizing the shelves that have been serving as our pantry. It’s seriously making me crazy to look at it. We have too much of some stuff and maybe too little of other things but we don’t have the room. I had been honestly trying to cook the beans and pasta in soups just so we had something to eat and to get rid of it but DH can’t handle it anymore. Gotta get creative with it I guess. He said bean soup reminds him of Hurricane Ida…. The worst experience of his life. Well I can’t argue that 🤷‍♀️ It reminds me of Momma. Trying to limit starches anyway. I really think I need to go to the Dollar Store or something and get some items to help me maximize my space. Maybe I can give away some pasta to my kids. That would be great too.
I have been buying some party mix at Tractor Supply because I want the containers after we eat the crackers and stuff. I had been putting dried beans in them. Today I filled two more to empty 4 bags. I have one with navy beans and one with lentils. I had a mayonnaise container that had only 1/4 of lentils so I filled it with hot water to swell and I am going to make a roux and cook them like a fricassee. I need more canned bean ideas cuz apparently it will be a while before I cook soup. Lots of pinto beans. I wonder if I can figure something Mexican. Any Mexican friends here can help a poor Cajun out?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... I need more canned bean ideas cuz apparently it will be a while before I cook soup. Lots of pinto beans. I wonder if I can figure something Mexican. Any Mexican friends here can help a poor Cajun out?

we eat a lot of beans and don't have issues with eating them simply as in making bean burritoes without the shells, just nuke the beans on a plate with some cheese on top to warm them up and melt the cheese and then top with chopped veggies of any kind and then sour cream or yogurt and then hot sauce or salsa or whatever. if you get enough layers on there you hardly notice the beans.

i could eat beans twice a day in many forms.

refried you can vary the spices to make it more interesting if you need to do that.

Mexican dishes are not too difficult to learn how to cook, but i like hot foods and working up a good sweat eating is fine with me. other people can't stomach the heat so you have to tone it down for them or avoid the peppers completely. to me though chili isn't really chili unless it has 100% chili peppers in it (no tomatoes, no beans, no onions that's TexMex chili to me).

so to me the questions to start with is how tolerant DH is to heat and spices of other kinds and if he can eat greens like cilantro or if he hates that can he eat parsely instead? etc. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats! 16 lbs is 16 lbs - that's great!

yes it is but also remember that while you are exercising you are likely replacing fat with muscle so it is a transformation of your body. :)

congrats! keep at it as much as you can and enjoy life too while you're at it.

also congrats on learning and helping and encouraging others to learn.