Are we living our dream?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fantastic pot! So lucky to have it!
I’m so happy that y’all are outside working and getting things done. I hope yall can have a good garden this year. Wonderful on the full freezers, what a blessing.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... I really think everyone else uses a whole cup of detergent while I’m just too cheap for that. I just use a quarter cup.

i've tried for years to get Mom to use less detergent, bleach, vinegar, etc. in the wash but she keeps piling it in. basically wasting $...

glad to hear you're doing ok. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with your husband on the scrounging. I took used lumber home, pulled nails and stacked lumber in our garage. My husband thought I was nuts. Then I hit the reject rack at Lowes and bought that at a very discounted rate. When we moved here, I brought all my treasures with me. Also had 22 power poles that I got for a mere $80. We hired the labor to build a 36'X36' barn. I had to buy 22, 20'2"X6" for rafters because I didn't have enough, plus the plywood decking for the roof. The R panel metal was all new too, to the tune of $4500. Barn got built for under $8,000. insurance appraised it for $34,000. So not too bad for a scrounger!

Now I'm not living my dream, my husband died of covid pneumonia in September. I'm putting the farm on the market in the spring, moving to a rent house my son has until I figure out where I want to be.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is this type of pumpkin that the old-timers used to use locally. It wasn’t that pretty orange color that is traditionally used in jack-o’-lanterns. It’s something that I used to see when I was a little girl growing up. All the old farmers had it it was very pale. I would like to find it because sometimes it’s in high demand especially from older people. It’s very meaty. If I can figure a way to control the grass and weeds in the orchard I can double dip and have a huge pumpkin patch. Not sure if I can really sell them though. I would need to find out how many locals really care to cook it. But I imagine pumpkin is on clearance everywhere now.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah. Especially at night and I wish he’d stop it. He had been calling them and then he showed me this tree limb like 12 feet up twisted and hanging ....it was like 6 inches in diameter. I am not talking about a twig. I don’t say what did do it. I don’t say what didn’t do it. But I can’t twist an oak branch even 1/4 that size. And my husband is strong. In fact he is known as Bigfoot locally but I know he isn’t that strong. Leave the boogie man alone!!