Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not so much I want to reply but I can’t remember how to just make a new entry 🤦‍♀️. So it’s been a while. Mostly I am well. I went for a new CT scan yesterday and bloodwork and I see my oncologist on the 17th, followed by my bone density infusion. It’s harvest season in the orchard and I have a lot of satsuma but the fruit is small. I figure it’s because of the drought. I haven’t gone up on my price so the hardware store that helps me sell can’t keep it on the counter. I’m told that one customer claims they rather go there and buy the fruit for $4 than get it from Walmart for $7 and it won’t even be as fresh. Well it has to be fresh. They run out everyday!! But now that they are getting sweeter, I am finding evidence of raccoons visiting. They have really taken a lot of fruit so we collected all our old traps and bought the two for one special at Tractor Supply. So yeah…4 new traps. DD16 and I set 6 traps with peanut butter sandwiches and we caught one coon, but all of them were snapped shut. DH and I dispatched the coon and reset with fish heads and we about to eat and then head over to harvest satsuma and hopefully coons. I want to make chili. I figured by the time I add all the veggies and tomato paste and chili powder and such, no one much would notice what meat I used. DD’s principle has been setting her trap too.
So it looks like I’m eligible for a new house through Lafourche Community Foundation. I could have gotten my old house busted up but they wanted me to rent 6 dumpsters and I checked the price and it was almost $700 each. I didn’t have the immediate funds on me…surprise!! So I heard they were stopping in late March and weren’t returning until October. Then I hired a young man, the same age as some of my younger kids to work for me in his space time. I told him to earn between $500 to $700 a month from me (based on the dumpster thing) and he tries to salvage lumber and my possessions and picks them up safe. I have no idea what my new house will look like but the crew just keeps making the same house over and over again for whoever is eligible. I can pick out between 3 kitchen designs and I can choose the colors but besides that they just building a house for me and I guess I really don’t care what it looks like.
But I don’t want them ripping my old house apart because I spent a lot of money on the pilings and concrete so I might as well get a barn out of the deal. My old barn is mostly intact but it does need fresh wire to protect against predators. Plan on fixing it and putting a flat roof on the old floor of my old house. I envision separating several pure breed chicken projects. DD wants Black Giants which makes me very happy. I think I can line the bottom of a stall with sheet metal and put a colony of rabbits.
Also I kinda picked up my pregnant niece and her 2 young sons yesterday. The plan is for them to stay with us until a government house becomes available. She is #3 on the list right now. Trying to help her work with a terrible ringworm on her youngest.
Well….hopefully I come back soon and I can tell y’all how coon chili tastes. Lata.

Missa@#5252

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not so much I want to reply but I can’t remember how to just make a new entry 🤦‍♀️. So it’s been a while. Mostly I am well. I went for a new CT scan yesterday and bloodwork and I see my oncologist on the 17th, followed by my bone density infusion. It’s harvest season in the orchard and I have a lot of satsuma but the fruit is small. I figure it’s because of the drought. I haven’t gone up on my price so the hardware store that helps me sell can’t keep it on the counter. I’m told that one customer claims they rather go there and buy the fruit for $4 than get it from Walmart for $7 and it won’t even be as fresh. Well it has to be fresh. They run out everyday!! But now that they are getting sweeter, I am finding evidence of raccoons visiting. They have really taken a lot of fruit so we collected all our old traps and bought the two for one special at Tractor Supply. So yeah…4 new traps. DD16 and I set 6 traps with peanut butter sandwiches and we caught one coon, but all of them were snapped shut. DH and I dispatched the coon and reset with fish heads and we about to eat and then head over to harvest satsuma and hopefully coons. I want to make chili. I figured by the time I add all the veggies and tomato paste and chili powder and such, no one much would notice what meat I used. DD’s principle has been setting her trap too.
So it looks like I’m eligible for a new house through Lafourche Community Foundation. I could have gotten my old house busted up but they wanted me to rent 6 dumpsters and I checked the price and it was almost $700 each. I didn’t have the immediate funds on me…surprise!! So I heard they were stopping in late March and weren’t returning until October. Then I hired a young man, the same age as some of my younger kids to work for me in his space time. I told him to earn between $500 to $700 a month from me (based on the dumpster thing) and he tries to salvage lumber and my possessions and picks them up safe. I have no idea what my new house will look like but the crew just keeps making the same house over and over again for whoever is eligible. I can pick out between 3 kitchen designs and I can choose the colors but besides that they just building a house for me and I guess I really don’t care what it looks like.
But I don’t want them ripping my old house apart because I spent a lot of money on the pilings and concrete so I might as well get a barn out of the deal. My old barn is mostly intact but it does need fresh wire to protect against predators. Plan on fixing it and putting a flat roof on the old floor of my old house. I envision separating several pure breed chicken projects. DD wants Black Giants which makes me very happy. I think I can line the bottom of a stall with sheet metal and put a colony of rabbits.
Also I kinda picked up my pregnant niece and her 2 young sons yesterday. The plan is for them to stay with us until a government house becomes available. She is #3 on the list right now. Trying to help her work with a terrible ringworm on her youngest.
Well….hopefully I come back soon and I can tell y’all how coon chili tastes. Lata.
I'm glad things are ok for you

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow! that sure is a lot on your plate! i'm glad to hear from you and that you are still kickin' butt and taking no prisoners (other than raccoons!). i would try that chili as i've never eaten raccoon.

good luck on the helpers and getting things set up how you need them to be. :hugs

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Didn’t catch any coons today but all the traps are set.
I had a private order for 6 sacks of satsuma and I discovered the hardware store sold out right before closing so gotta hook them up tomorrow so DH and I harvested a lot this afternoon, filled the order and I’m not sure how much I will have for the store. I can’t get paid over the weekend anyway but it’ll be nice if they sold satsuma all weekend come Monday.
Went vote afterwards.
Did a really fast frying pan barbecue with chicken breast and hotdogs seeing I had a lot of potato salad from the gumbo we had for lunch (I love to kill two birds with one stone). So here I am and I realized I had said I would make an oatmeal cake when I got home so my work isn’t done.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It’s way too early for me to just be awake for no reason. Actually I have been awoke for an hour but the good news is I don’t have any dirty dishes, all the food is picked up and the coffee pot only has to be turned on.
It would probably be best if I bring my niece to church today. Her boys have never been to church in their lives and let’s just say her parenting skills seriously remind me of that of her parents (I obtained custody of her younger sister in 2018). The poor woman has very little peace in her life and is expecting another boy in February. I am informed that the oldest boy was in kindergarten but kept getting suspended every week. Wow!! I think I got my work cut out for me. But she knows me and chose to come to me. DH is good because she is actually my ex’s niece.
Maybe a tiny nap before I start sacking satsuma for sale.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m so glad to hear from you! A new house and you can be back on the farm! Yay!
I’ve had raccoon before. Somebody my Daddy worked with gave him some BBQed coon. He and I were the only ones that would eat it, my mom, brother and sister said no way. Long time ago. So in chili with all the spices, nobody will be able to tell just WHAT it is! Free meat!

Yes! Take your niece and her boys to church. You are a blessing in their lives.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Grandad had coondogs....for a reason! Yep, it was cooked & eaten. 😁 waaay back then, you didn't grocery shop, you hunt shopped. Deer, coon, groundhog, rabbit, squirrel.

if i had someone here that'd do that we could live off what we could hunt/trap. there's always plenty of them about. chipmunks and mice would probably be more trouble than they're worth to clean but we also have those always around.