Are we living our dream?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It’s pancake day and I am about to make a keto pancake. It’s hard to flip so I will make it tiny. I ordered some Carbquick. I find it slightly easier to use than nut flours from the store. I would love a few pointers. Maybe I can just use it for baking. I think DH is trying today to eat right. Never mind. He went for the corn flakes 🤷‍♀️ I really thought I had lettuce but it was a cabbage. Guess I got to fix that.
Well it’s raining. Looks like it will rain until Saturday. Not much outside chores in that. Maybe bare minimum.

for me it is so hard to not eat junk food if it is around. any carbohydrate is fair game. it takes a lot of will power to be consistent to make progress. so one day a week we are allowed to go a bit off schedule and at times that day is not on the same day each week but we generally do stick to it. the hard part is that Mom thinks i want things and i don't. like the apple fritter she bought for me the other day. i really didn't want it, but i also hate wasting food so i will not throw it away or feed it to the birds or anything like that, i'll eat it. but i did tell her to not buy me any donuts again unless i specifically ask for it. and i won't for at least the next few months. it wasn't even that good and i'm usually a sucker for carbs and grease.

so it really helps for us both to be trying at the same time (same for those who both smoke it's very hard if the other person doesn't also try to quit at the same time).

this time of the year bumping up the exercise is the hardest part. i need to do it, sometimes i do, but most of the time i'm still too sedentary. tomorrow i'll be shovelling snow so that will help. :)

keep on trying, even if you fail here or there it's always a new day and new times to keep on trying. :)

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot…. I am adding ACV to juice and lemonade to help boost my metabolism. I figured it might help me bust up the cold virus too.
I wanted to just grab something I already cooked out of the fridge even if it had pasta and it did taste good but I started to not want it. Frugality didn’t win this time. I guess I will try to fill up on salad and nuts. Make one for DH too.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My latest creation. I think it will be filling.

Attachments

• 26FC563F-0036-4F38-8993-B6EC062C6412.jpeg
    26FC563F-0036-4F38-8993-B6EC062C6412.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 67

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It’s pancake day and I am about to make a keto pancake. It’s hard to flip so I will make it tiny. I ordered some Carbquick. I find it slightly easier to use than nut flours from the store. I would love a few pointers. Maybe I can just use it for baking. I think DH is trying today to eat right. Never mind. He went for the corn flakes 🤷‍♀️ I really thought I had lettuce but it was a cabbage. Guess I got to fix that.
Well it’s raining. Looks like it will rain until Saturday. Not much outside chores in that. Maybe bare minimum.
I haven't tried carbquick, but I've heard good reviews. I have found some really yummy egg-based keto recipes. I like almond flour, except the price. I use it sparingly.

I think my biggest take-away from my attempts with keto and paleo are that I was most satisfied when I didn't try to substitute keto/paleo versions of foods. (with one exception, I'll share the recipe in it's own thread)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i really didn't want it, but i also hate wasting food so i will not throw it away
I grew up poor, and this mindset was the main thing standing between me and being healthy. It took a lot of doctors bills to get over it really. My mantra was "I am not a garbage disposal." It took a long time - years.

Now when I'm grocery shopping I'm saying "I'm either going to pay for groceries or doctors."

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mantra was "I am not a garbage disposal."
That's awesome!

DH and I were both raised with the "clean your plate there are starving children...." I can't throw food away - but I can sure feed it to a dog, pig, or chicken! We say every day that there's nothing wasted on the farm. It really is one of the things that helps us.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grew up poor, and this mindset was the main thing standing between me and being healthy. It took a lot of doctors bills to get over it really. My mantra was "I am not a garbage disposal." It took a long time - years.

there were times when i was growing up where there wasn't enough either, but we did get by. i still have horrible habits though, like eating fast. it's a very hard habit to break. i still will not ever waste food - not willingly or knowingly. i do really enjoy that all food we buy is not wasted even at times if it does spoil (a very rare thing as i consider it such a horrible waste to have food spoil before we can eat it) as it will go to the worm buckets and they can use it and eventually that comes back to us after being fertilizer for the garden vegetables.

Now when I'm grocery shopping I'm saying "I'm either going to pay for groceries or doctors."

i'm glad i don't have that severe of things going on, but i'm also pretty aware of things that i need to avoid.