Are we living our dream?

Wilsonwalla

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Continued from once upon a time. So my dream became a nightmare for a while and eventually I got back on track. Married a farmer who doesn’t exactly do everything exactly like me but still manages to make it work and is king of the dumpster dive. I did have to go to work full time because of certain complicated family obligations but I was on such a good roll. I was almost totally done with all debts and then I could have eased into retirement planning but here came Hurricane Ida.
I still want freedom from debt, utilities, grocery stores to an extent but Ida has tested me greatly. This is kinda my intro but I will follow up with my game plan for making that lemonade with all those lemons I was sent.
i'm cheering you up

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it takes a few times through for us to get some things picked too. Mom does one round, i follow along and try to get what she's missed. even after that we both might still miss and have to get it the next round through. some plants i leave a few fruits on intentionally because for later seed harvest.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It’s morning for me. I wake up and DH is peeling shrimp. I join him and he adds ice from the freezer to the ice chest. He said we have 70 pounds to peel. I am not as fast as him.
I sometimes lose track of my nights at work. I think I am half over my current hitch. You ever hear no such thing as a mistake? Well it’s true. I have to prepare the whole day with their assignments for vitals and charting and I put it out for the morning shift to start. Well yesterday, for whatever reason, morning shift didn’t do vitals…at least none that I saw. And I was told a certain lady was tired and slept the whole day. So I come to work at 11:00PM and only afternoon shifts vitals are there. So my aide shows up and is flustered cuz she is gonna have to work by herself and she starts getting vitals…. Morning vitals. If she had done her own vitals I never would have seen Tired Ladies vitals and how dangerously low her blood pressure was. I rechecked her manually and yeah… pretty low so check her orders and she is due to receive 3 meds to lower her blood pressure further. I had a very serious conversation with my relief. Basically if my aide hadn’t accidentally checked Tired Lady, my relief would have medicated her and 5 people would have lost their mom today. No such thing as a mistake.
I got some depressing inspiration to head to my house and start ripping last night. In the course of talking to my coworkers one of them talk about cast iron clothes irons and I grab my face and say “Oh my God!” She didn’t know what she said to do that to me. I told her I have 8 irons surrounding my potbelly stove IN MY HOUSE!! And I just SMH. She then explain to our part-time coworker that Ida ripped my house apart. The irons were for my grandmother. Oh well it might be depressing but whatever it takes to get it done.
Well I best get back to peeling.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning to all the other vampires 🧛‍♀️ out there. I just woke up after my first of 4 night shifts. I hear something that sounds like a lawnmower outside. Sometimes I hear DH. I don’t think he realizes I am up. He took his night meds yesterday morning and then his morning meds at night so he is just about on my schedule but by accident. He worries me sometimes.
Deep down he wants to farm. It’s hard for me to listen to him saying, “I can’t do this anymore,” when clearly he is doing it. I guess he is just voicing doubts 🤷‍♀️ Farming is like an addiction for him. Me too really. And I know having an outside job affects my ability to get chores done.
So in this neighborhood there is a man who does little jobs for cash. He has no wife or children. He frequently drinks a lot of beer. He had been staying at a big house in the back of the street like in a shed or something and could sometimes take a shower and had use of a downstairs fridge. Well he got kicked out because of no regular job so DH put him at his trailer so he has a roof over his head. From what I understand he cleaned the trailer and I now understand it’s him cutting the grass. Oh well….one hand washes another.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not just posting less. According to my phone my screen time is down 71%. I guess that’s a good thing. So I am off tonight and tomorrow night. It’s late but I haven’t eaten yet. Waiting for DH to come home from the store and I am praying he didn’t buy the whole thing. He stopped by my farm and went into the orchard before dark and something was scaring Trouble enough that she was afraid to get away from the truck. He sent me a video. I suggested he get out of there now. If Trouble is scared it’s probably not nice. All I am really thinking about is a chunk of French bread. But DH cooked rabbit fricassee. He is a great cook but he doesn’t clean up behind himself so I do. I just hope he notices. I think he does. 🥰
DS and family came over yesterday for a while. The baby acted like she didn’t want me 😟. I was just over 2 weeks ago to babysit. I will go to the fort in the middle of June to watch the kids for at least 3 days. I understand they are having a horrible time potty training so I will get er dun. I can do it if I have 3 days.
I have a coworker who had WIC for her baby but she didn’t think Similac was as good as Enfamile so she stockpiled it. I reimbursed her some of the costs of the formula and obtained several cans of Similac for my grandchild to finish out her infancy and possibly for the next baby already in route. DS helped himself to a bag of several cans. And I do have powdered goats milk just in case.
While here the little boy couldn’t wait to help his Pawpaw feed the animals and see the farm. I hope it stays with him.
So I think arthritis has set in my right shoulder and is radiating pain down my arm. It’s amazing how much pain one small body part can generate. I missed one of my nights of work… therefore I accepted the pain was worse than my desire for the pay, which says a lot. I think I will review all the various types of arthritis and put my thinking cap on. I mean supposedly I know more about medicine than the average person and herbs but I looked at what all medicine I had on hand and it was hard to cancel out enough of the pain to function properly. Makes me feel useless. As much as possible I was favoring my non-dominant hand. Warmth helps. Herbal speaking only… I started thinking I might need to pay attention to my immune system.
I still don’t have my tricycle assembled. DH thinks he can do it. Maybe I can get DS to come over and help. I really want to exercise without hurting my feet.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He stopped by my farm and went into the orchard before dark and something was scaring Trouble enough that she was afraid to get away from the truck. He sent me a video. I suggested he get out of there now. If Trouble is scared it’s probably not nice.
:oops:. That would be MY call....leave!! Especially at dusk. Critters come out.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't like to regularly take pain killers or anti-inflammatories but once in a while a few days of ibuprofen before bed can usually knock the worst of my pain back enough. for me it isn't arthritis it is lower back pain.