Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope so. Okay....this lady is a scream. She is calling the scovy drakes some negro ducks. She has been catching hell plucking them and I left her to it, while I killed and multitasled, but I decided I'd hurry her up, by plucking the wing feathers on the 2 drakes she isn't working on yet. Then I started plucking on the chest and I can tell you those feathers are cemented in place. Hot water was available, but I must have run out of propane, even though I only just changed the bottle. Maybe I tell her to pluck the one she is still on and just skin the rest because she will kill herself on just 3 birds.
And I'm freaked out by her age. I really had her at least 10 years older than me, but I'm 11 years older than her. Life must have been hard.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Somebody pinch me. I have 3 big ducks in the freezer now, just waiting for my next feast. I have 8 young cockerals, chilling out in the fridge, until I can put them in freezer camp for my future needs. I do have 4 older roos to slaughter for soups or gumbos and 3 geese that also will be slaughtered for Christmas and for my godchild's ballet tutu....she wants me to help her with her costume because the one she wants will be about $700. She wants to do the Dying Swan (wants to copy the origional). Only thing is Anna Pavlova was very tiny and she stands about 5'8". Looking forward to getting a few patterns.
Well, I walk out into my yard to feed all the animals and as I'm going thru the coop, there is seems to be only one rooster.....a show quality RIR, but then I noticed one roo excaped yesterday's slaughter. He is apparently a pure RIR...same age as my pullets, but unfortunately won't be from my show quality RIR. His dad was hatchery stock. I actually don't care much, but I fell in love with my current roo because of the shape of his chest and I want to see what he will give me. So as it stands, when this molt is over and my hens start giving me eggs again, (which will occur at about the same time as the pullets begin laying) I will be bombarded with eggs. I might need to put out my sign again, unless I can find someone to barter with. Looks like a very cost effective coop. Hardly a male to worry about feeding. Most of my feed will be going into hens and pullets.
A woman came over today and traded me 5 silkie eggs for some duck eggs she wanted to eat and bought 3 of my old hens that I was probably only going to sell as food to some of my Latino customers, so I let them go for $5/each. I was completely honest with her about their ages and what all she could expect from them. Actually it was more of a tour of my little farm and a short visit, more than anything. So she is gone and DD 17 realizes that in addition to the muscovy duck I have brooding over a clutch of ducklings in the tractor, I also have the other duck on a nest of 'scovy eggs in the barn, which haven't hatched, so she comes up with a plan to switch out the duck eggs for the silkie eggs. Well, I did it. I know its mean, but allow me to explain my reasons. First off, I want the silkies for help with hard to incubate eggs; esp goose eggs. Then if I can keep her broody for a little while longer and I get some early goose eggs, I can have her do it for me, so at least I have a few goslings that make it out of the egg. I will be taking the silkie eggs from her and putting them in lockdown in 17 days and giving her either goose eggs or duck eggs to finish off her brood.
Well, maybe I can have a decent day of homeschooling. I was going to go a few towns over and have the cookoo clock repaired, but then I said, "Why you wanna do that? DH is just going to want to take it." So I refrained.....if he wants it, let him pay for it. Was going to also go to the city and look for ballerina patterns for my godchild and daughters, but getting late, so maybe I just shop online. Amen.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm getting to where I prefer to shop on line. It's so much easier.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mission accomplished. I ordered a misses sized costume with 4 views and a vintage girl's size 6 ballet pattern. Went get DD 6 at the studio and told godchild about the patterns. The owner and primary dance instructor heard me. Think she was most excited about the fact that the pattern is supposed to be from 1955. But the misses pattern has one view with wings and one of the dances are of various animals, including a peacock.
I did order a few other things. Even ordered something for DH.....can't explain exactly why because my brain is a complicated place to visit lately. In a way I love him, although I'm afraid to reconcile. In a way, I do want his friendship and want the peace. I have absolutely no hope for a future with him though.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The last Christmas that I spent with my first husband was memorable - not. We were in divorce proceedings, but he was still living at the house. I got him some nice gifts cuz we still had children at home and I wanted Christmas to be as normal as possible. He got me a pair of boxer's that said "POOH" on the butt. I got over him real fast after that, lol!

It's good to get it resolved and try to remain civil - kudos to you for that!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I ordered him a camaflage robe. He has been calling, cuz I'm trying to find him a home.....preferably one that I can afford, although why, is hard to explain. I guess its just that we have kids, we've spent almost 28 years together and I will end up with everything and he'll have nothing to show for his life, I don't want him with his family because they are freaking crazy, he only has a 35% heart and whatever I buy for him will be a marital asset, so I will get 1/2 of it back and share with my kids.
He has been calling often, and I wish he wouldn't. If he's not in my life, I wish he'd let me go on with my own. In fact, I'm listening to his voice right now :rolleyes:. Basically I think I need to find him a mansion for the price of a FEMA used camper. OMG....he is hungry. He wants a hamburger. Is he serious? Everyone is right. I'm way too nice.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes ma'am, you are too nice. I mean, if he wants a divorce he can't be asking you to feed and house him (even though I understand about buying the house and someday getting it back). Either ya want me or ya don't!

Divorce is hard and you have to get through it in a way that works for you and your kiddos. I do think you've got the right attitude though.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neither of us has talked of divorce, although we don't plan on getting back together....well, actually when he is freaking out, he does say he wants one, but he don't file for one and then next time we talk he forgets all the recent upsets. Convient. Well, I told DS his poppa wants a hamburger and he just stared at me and then said,"And why is he telling you this?" Exactly.....So 2 of our children are bringing him a hamburger. DH found out DS was bringing him a burger and he said, he'd have to give him the $ back later because he didn't have it with him. I guess if it were me bringing it to him, he wouldn't worry about $, but IDK.
He told me today that I had to get rid of some things......meaning animals. Well, actually I have and told him about the recent slaughters and what all I have left that will be slaughtered and he told me I still need to get rid of more because I have too much trouble........Oh you think???? Well, most of my trouble has left, but it still keeps on calling. At least I can eat the 7 or 8 things I have left to 'get rid of.'
Just brought the dogs out for a potty run and I see the baby 'scovies running around in this cold weather. I think the momma was caught by something, so go inside for a flashlight and to get whatever I need to catch them, but when I go back out, she is with them.....I guess they must be okay, even if its cold out. Then I go to the hatcher and my kidnapped 'scovy eggs are hatching. I have one out and I put it down on some paper. Wondering if I wait around and see what hatches and take the momma away from the babies if I can reunite her with them, plus a bunch of extras from the hatcher. A lady came today while I was harvesting satsumas to see if I had ducklings, and I just missed her. She was supposed to come back, but I haven't seen her yet. If she shows, I'll just sell her whatever comes out of the hatcher, so I don't have to kidnap anyone. Guys.......pray me a miracle!!!! (thinking of DH on that one)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And they talk about women being hard to understand.