Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like when I get into the killing mode, I stay in it a while. I was late getting up this morning because of the little black monsters that were waking me last night (fear, uncertainty, loneliness, whatever), and DD12 was complaining of pains in her knees so I went out to do chores......super wet, so had to wear boots. I'm running out of grain, and that always makes me extra want to ration and kill. So my heaviest tractor had only 2 roosters in it, so I decided that would be easiest to empty out. I had one bleeding out and went for the other and the tractor is now open, but plan on filling it with my 5 broilers, because there is nothing left in the asparagus bed for them to much on, except what I import for them. So one roo is in the fridge downstairs and the other is waiting for me to pluck. If I can do 2 or 3 a day for a while, I can make broth maybe once a week and use the organ meats with onions and ground beef to make rice dressing mix. But to tell you the truth, I do have just about enough of this game for today. I wouldn't say no to some help uncovering the asparagus bed.
The neighbor is throwing away a child's gym set, with A frame, slide, swings and such. I'm sure some of it is trash, but I am thinking its the A frame I want to cover one of my raised beds. Determined to fence in all the beds and put a canopy over them to I can have the birds clean or keep out, as needed. DS might not like the idea though.
I'm getting a bit of a chill right now.
My idea of getting almost free eggs by firing all those roosters and replacing my grass cutters as hens have not paid me off yet. The 3 hens in the lone rooster tractor didn't lay any eggs yet. But it does seem like the coop is noticeably less crowded. I hate the fact that I'm almost out of grain. Totally not ready to go to the river.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
just spent the last hour catching up with you. dang girl you've had quite the year. I'm sorry for all your dh has put you thru. i can so identify. I've found that the best revenge, if you can call it that is to learn to live well and take care of you and yours without them. and to let them live their life without your help. my dd was 13 when her dad went to find himself and lo and behold he found himself living with some other woman. he is now on his forth wife and I've finally realized that it's not my fault. he has never been happy with any of them because he has never been happy with himself. don't feel to sorry for him ok.
i think you should snag the neighbors swing set and use it for your garden. i can see twine going down to the sides of the beds for peas, beans, cucumbers or things to climb up. and to hold up the tarp in the winter time for the chickens to live under. and the chains and things will come in handy for something in the future.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The A frame is mainly for me to use as a canopy, both for when its being used to house birds for cleaning purposes and as a reverse fence.....some of my birds might fly in the gardens, so I need to be able to keep them out when necessary. But I totally NEED to have a huge success in the garden ASAP. Not only to feed us, but to gloat.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry took so long DD, but here is the spiny weed that grows all over my yard and I now have to pull it out from my asparagus bed. The only thing the animals munch on is the leaves. The goat just eats a bit off the top.
IMG_20151229_130215.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How big does it get, and where are the spines located? Any berries? W/out being there and seeing it for sure, I'm wondering if it's some type of barberry.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The highest I have let them get is waist high, when things are a total mess. I don't recall berries. Their roots get almost as long as the plant, so I just pull them out when they are little, if its at a place I really need to have weed free. If its all over the garden area and bees, I cut with a lawnmower, but you can't do that in a bed.
I will look up barberry. It would be cool if it is that.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Is that yellow flower from that plant, or another? If it's from that plant, and if I can find my one book, I may be able to figure it out by asking you some questions.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I pulled it out and brought it in the house and it has some closed buds, with what seems to be yellow flowers inside. I searched through plants. They resemble purslane but the leaves are serrated. The plant also looks a bit like a primrose. I am good with the herbal knowledge, but identifying isn't my strong point.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'll see if I can find my book. Can you let one get open flowers? That will help me a lot.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really don't understand any of my field books. Most of them have drawings instead of pics and what pics they do have aren't all 100% perfect for identifying purposes. In herbal studies, what you don't know, can kill you.