Are You Ready To Make Due With Little Or No Gas.??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If everyone stopped buying plastic, then the big oil companies would be in trouble, but gasoline and non-commercial diesel count for very little, commercial diesel doesn't add much more profit.

I hear exactly where you are coming from.......but stop buying plastics, and the biz would stop first, and JOBs all the way back to the source.

oil is in everything. we know that. but to fight we must give it up. no one can do that. the world revolves around it (right now)
take away commercial diesel and you STOP plenty of motion on this planet that would make for a horrible outcome.

so unless an Einstein type person comes along and truly makes petrolueum obsolete in every day use, it will alwasys be this way.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Moolie, that is interesting info. I think what I found curious is 44.2 gallons of product are derived out of 42 gallons of crude.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick, it won't take Einstein or the like, just running out. We've passed peak oil, and prices will only continue to go up. Oil-based products will become available only to the elite some day, then disappear altogether. Probably not in my lifetime, but likely in my kids' or grandkids' time. There's only so much available.

It is totally possible to live without it, it's just not what the average westerner does. Yet.

That said, I don't believe that what is presently taking place in the middle east is any more than a blip in time. Will oil prices rise and fall based on what happens there? Happens every week where I live--gas prices at the pump fluctuate all the time. This past week they went up 7c/L, next week they may go down again or go further up.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I think what I found curious is 44.2 gallons of product are derived out of 42 gallons of crude.
And a cup of grain turns into a cup and a half of flour (with my mill) too ;)

Volume and weight really can really play with your head when it comes to derivatives from an original product :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think we are past peak oil just yet.
I researched that a bit and there are way too many variables to say when true petroleum will be 'totally gone, kaput, gonzo'

The Einstein person needs to know what 'fuel' is next that will sustain.

but again, it is so far down the line with so many variables it is wild

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
_gd.....sez..." Is there any myth that you don't believe.? How many btu's do you think are in a gallon of fuel.?" I don't believe in the myth of Big Foot...:) Anyone here familiar with the magazine "Popular Science"..? They have report over the years development of several very high milage auto engines.
Up to 100 miles per gallon, no myth...Who cares how much Big Oil is spending on drilling and research, they are reaping the harvest in the tune of many BILLIONS of dollar anually.It's funny how such efficient engines just disappear, isn't it..? Remember the Geo Metro..?It wasn't even a hybred, about the size of VW Bug, it got about 58 miles to the gallon of fuel, back in 1989....
It was a joint venture between Chevy and Suzuki.Where did that technology go..??????? I'll bet some of the BIG BOYS know...Don't tell me that the technology for 100 mile a gallon vehicles doesn't exist, because thats bullda, and i know better...!
FJ...sez.." Umm, the hay bailer i see on the first page is GASOLINE powered." Yes it is, its a small gasoline powered engine to assist.It's also being used on a horse drawn Amish farm implement, isn't it..? It is NOT a big John Deere fuel gobbling tractor machine...Can you underdstand the difference FJ...? I never said the Amish don't use fuel, and perhaps your Amish neighbors use a fuel based fertilizer, most however, use horse drawn manure spreaders with animal manure...I agree, i don't wish to argue, just stating the facts..I guess we can say, all Amish and in ~gd's case all vehicles are created the same...as the posted link show....Here's a link about the, non hybred,20 something yr old, Geo Metro...what happened to that efficient technology..?

1989geometro.com/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My brother-in-law had a Geo Metro in the early 90s and I can tell you from personal experience of riding in one why they don't make them anymore: they're not safe and no one bought them because they don't look good.

Yup, people are shallow and like their cars to look good, but that car was also the automotive equivalent of an aluminum pop can that could go 100 km/h down the freeway. Scared the crap out of me to just be riding in it, same with a friend's Suzuki Swift--both just cheapy pop cans. I can't imagine anyone surviving an accident with one of those cars.

European cars get great gas mileage, we rented a non-hybrid Ford Mondeo (similar to the North American Ford Fusion) that got about 60 miles to the gallon, and this was back in 2006. Ford is very popular in Europe and makes some really nice models over there. We drive a Mazda3 and just clocked our in-town mileage last week to check how it's doing and discovered it was about 40 mpg.

The main reason why North American cars don't get great gas mileage is because the technology costs more, which makes the vehicle cost more, and gas costs far less here than it does in Europe so people have never pushed for it--they'd rather pay less for the vehicle in the first place than focus on mileage. European cars were also much more emission-friendly back in the 70s even compared to today's North American cars.

Best thing to do is to shop around and read the consumer reports before buying a vehicle.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Most of the cars out there today are tin cans on wheels..! We have the technology to make a gallon of fuel go much further right here in the USA.My friend had a Geo Metro as well, your right, it was no great shakes, none the less,my point was the efficieny.I just saying, and IMO, Big Oil, doesn't want consumers to have fuel sipping, efficient autos,it would hurt profits.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that is less true than in the past. There is a huge push for fully electric cars now (Prius electric, Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, etc.). But the most fun is my friend's fully electric Tesla Roadster -- that thing accelerates so fast it feels like a roller coaster. I heard that diesel cars may also be making a comeback here too (they are already popular in Europe). I think they get close to the mileage that hybrids get.

I bought a hybrid last summer and I'm getting an average of about 52 MPG, which is double what I was getting in my VW Jetta. Depending on traffic, I can get as high as about 75 MPG in a trip to work. If I lived in an area with fewer hills and stop signs my mileage would be better.