Are you really prepared? Seriously????

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
FarmerChick said:
and UJoe

you are so right, tons of the 20 somethings out there can't even spend a day hiking let alone take a crack at survival.....hmm....
20 somethings? Heck,my12 year olds bf cant make a simple 1 mile hike!!!

We are very active on this farmett to begin with. Then there are the daily 6 miles of running and or walking.

Most of our implements are manuel round here. The fencing and cross fencing were done all manuel. I hate "edging" the trees and fence lines by hand though. I gotta get goats for that!

I think we would be pretty lean if we had to be totally ss. We would probably be 100% vegetarians because every animal instantly becomes a pet. I would have to get more chickens 3 eggs per day would not be enough.

Remember that PBS special on living the pioneer way? I would love to experience that!!!
Yup I saw that series and a few cracked big time!!!
LOL-LOL

can one do without IF THEY KNOW that the real and easier world is out there?

what is the threshold?

HmmmLOL-LOL

And Bee mentioned in her post as KIDS they did what had to be done cause the parents made the choice for them (with or without conveniences not had)...........but in the olden days there was no "what if"----life was life and there wasn't much more than that.

So it is what you know, hindsight, future inventions, etc. etc. .....all reactions will be different and I don't think we can compare them all.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here's my point: A lot of folks used to be SS but no longer are. Where I live in the country, almost anybody you meet knows how to make maple syrup, raise birds for eggs and meat, chop their own wood, grow their own food. But, many do not do it any longer. Not sure which came first, the health problems or the lack of SS. I really think probably a return to convenience foods and lifestyle (with more $) probably came first, then the health problems. I just found it interesting. That's all :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I think thre are tons of people out there that even though they are into the convenience of this world can probably jump right over to being SS. But there are probably more that don't have a clue.

Both my children were raised in a frugal enviroment. We had chickens, rabbits and goats. We also had horses for pleasure. We did not have store bought snaks or convenience foods. Everyone had chores, we always had a garden and harvesting was a family affair. So was killing the rabbits and chickens for meat.

My son - the former Marine - will probably not last 3 days if every thing topples. He is in great shape, but once his work day for his employer is done - he is tired and finished for the day. He, his wife and all 3 children "NEED" the TV, video games, take out food, and every other convenience there is on the market. He thinks I am crazy for keeping chickens and rabbits, making my own laundry detergent, working a full time job and trying to have a garden too.
He says he does not even want to remember his youth and all the work.

My daughter on the other hand - is out of shape and relatively lazy. She will make it. She is a survivor with great instincts and once she sets her mind to something will accomplish it. And even though she is lazy now and out of shape she is interested in what I do, is always asking questions, etc. She calls me daily to find out whats new and what we are doing and she always wants full details.

My point here is - being in shape and fit as a fiddle may not be as important as KNOWING HOW to do things. If and/or when anything happens she will be on my doorsteps with not only some know how but willing to work her buns off. Within a few weeks she would be in great physical shape. On the flip side would be my son and his family. Great physical shape and no idea what to do or where to start.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Beekissed said:
I don't know....in a total economic collapse, the banks would have a very hard time going around kicking all those folks out of their homes and wouldn't even have the employees to do so. Nor would the transportation or communication lines be available, so they still couldn't do much if someone was squatting in their homes and properties. And what would be the purpose of kicking one out of a home that had no market, no one would be buying anything at that point but food and fuel....if money was worth anything at that time. The banks would be closed.
A total economic collapse is not going to happen overnight. It will be gradual. The only hope would be if there were millions of people getting evicted for non payment and the govt decided to put a freeze on it. There will always be a market for foreclosed homes. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. There will be millions on the street before the banks give up their property. Don't count on that pipe dream.
Agreed.
I view the home foreclosure crisis as a redistribution of wealth.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hey UncleJoe, long time no see. You canning tomatoes this year??? :)
Hi Gina, I've been here. Just been reading more than writing.
Yes. I'll be doing tomatoes again. I'll also be venturing into all the other veggies as well since I finally broke down and bought a pressure canner. We're going to attempt to put up enough fruit, veggies, soups and stews to make it through the winter. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Here's my point: A lot of folks used to be SS but no longer are. Where I live in the country, almost anybody you meet knows how to make maple syrup, raise birds for eggs and meat, chop their own wood, grow their own food. But, many do not do it any longer. Not sure which came first, the health problems or the lack of SS. I really think probably a return to convenience foods and lifestyle (with more $) probably came first, then the health problems. I just found it interesting. That's all :)
I gotcha!
good point

my mom being 81 now, she grew up hard in the olden days as most did and now, she says things like I am putting on the AC cause I can, I got money to pay the bill...HA HA HA--------I guess when a person NEVER had things and can now get them, taking the easy convenient road is so tempting definitely!!

you are right....so many can be SS and don't or won't.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
I think thre are tons of people out there that even though they are into the convenience of this world can probably jump right over to being SS. But there are probably more that don't have a clue.

Both my children were raised in a frugal enviroment. We had chickens, rabbits and goats. We also had horses for pleasure. We did not have store bought snaks or convenience foods. Everyone had chores, we always had a garden and harvesting was a family affair. So was killing the rabbits and chickens for meat.

My son - the former Marine - will probably not last 3 days if every thing topples. He is in great shape, but once his work day for his employer is done - he is tired and finished for the day. He, his wife and all 3 children "NEED" the TV, video games, take out food, and every other convenience there is on the market. He thinks I am crazy for keeping chickens and rabbits, making my own laundry detergent, working a full time job and trying to have a garden too.
He says he does not even want to remember his youth and all the work.

My daughter on the other hand - is out of shape and relatively lazy. She will make it. She is a survivor with great instincts and once she sets her mind to something will accomplish it. And even though she is lazy now and out of shape she is interested in what I do, is always asking questions, etc. She calls me daily to find out whats new and what we are doing and she always wants full details.

My point here is - being in shape and fit as a fiddle may not be as important as KNOWING HOW to do things. If and/or when anything happens she will be on my doorsteps with not only some know how but willing to work her buns off. Within a few weeks she would be in great physical shape. On the flip side would be my son and his family. Great physical shape and no idea what to do or where to start.
good points 2dream
you never know by the outside who could survive and who couldn't....the will of a person is so important!!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
If you had told me 7 years ago that I would be doing everything I am doing now, and not having many conviences, I would have laughed. Now I find that I'm trying to glean all the knowledge I can for SS living, and even if I am not applying it now, at least the knowledge is there!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would much rather know it and not need it then the other way around :gig

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It's good to read everyone's thoughts. I'm also really getting into self-reliant living. I'm pushing 70 and do have health problems but I also have a thriving garden with home canned and dehydrated food on the shelves and chickens in the coop. It feels good to go out and pick my food fresh. I am also starting to grow herbs thats hould be beneficial for my condition should I no longer be able to get them the usual way.