Asian carp fishing?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boyd,

I'm in Illinois. Currently living in one of the near west towns next to Chicago. I'm looking to move about 160 miles south west of where I am now to the Peoria area. I'm actually looking for work in both area's so I frequent Craigslist job section as well as monster.com and careerbuilders.com

I just seen an ad in Craigslist Peoria this past week for a company seeking multiple forklift drivers with a minium of 1 year's experience, starting pay of $13-$15 an hour.

Best of luck!

Jax

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
*shudders* Carp...

I have horrible memories of the carp in the Bowmanville creek. Icky horrible things. Huge and evil looking. Kids used to walk across the rocks and taunt them until they got PO'd.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lupin,

This is exactilly why I might be able to make harvesting them a profitable situation. The carp you hate so much are the european species. They eat off the bottom of rivers in the muck and mud. I've never had either speices yet, becuase I can't find it anywhere. I was thinking of ordering some smoked silverfin, just to try it out. At my local grocery store they sell smoke whiting, smoked salmon and smoked herring. All of which run around $7.99 a pound!

For those interested I found some videos on how to clean asian carp and ready them for cooking. Takes a little getting use to because they have a "Y" bone in them. But still for a little extra effort, have some nice eating fish!

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/silverfin/videos/

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
humm.. Our local newpaper stated that they ate other fish and were unedible! odd.......

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
The article I read said they were brought in by the southern catfish farmers in the1970s to control algae and such in their ponds but the flooding Mississippi started spreading them north, also said they are plankton eaters and leave little else for others that eat that too.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Well it took them 40 years to get to from Arkansas to Illinois so I'm not gonna worry about it because I am still terrified of the killer bees that are gonna be here any minute - remember that scare?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The were slowly moving up tributaries of the Mississippi. Then along about 3-4 years ago they suddenly exploded in the Illinois river. Our state's DNR isn't sure why. Speculation is that fertilizer run-off from farms created an abundance of plankton which these fish eat. From here it's gone down hill for our natural species. With the asian carp litterly sucking the life out of the water, there that left nothing behind for other critters to eat. No minnows, insect larve, ect, the next to go was the preditor game fish. There are now sections of the Illinois river that you will find no other fish then the asian carp (silverfin). Best guestimates put the total tonnage in the 100's of millions of pounds of these fish are swimming our states waters now. And no way to control them.

Since I'm having an issue finding a job. What the heck, why not create one??? In between working on my estate sale, job hunting and a few other nessary things I need to get done this week, I've a few more calls to make. First of all, since one of the canneries has expanded their opperation, I understand they're needing to hire 150-200 more fisherman to do the harvesting. I'll give them a call for and advice they can offer. The other cannery recieved a 500k grant to expand thier opperation. This was pushed through the state by one senator, I'll try giving him a call as well, see if there's any thing he might be able to do for help those that are interested in becoming fishermen. At least nobody can say I'm not trying to do something!!!!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they have already found the carps dna in the great lakes, hopefully they can provent them from coming here. We might not beable to eat the fish near us( ok we can eat them but only a few a month) but we can still boat safely w/o getting hit by a 50 lb fish!