Asian carp fishing?

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am in Peoria also would love to fish with you and do some damage to the carp.
Brian

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I thought with invasive species there was no method of catch? I thought you can net them, spear them, whatever them. I may be wrong. In Illinois river, they have a convention every year that I believe is called the "redneck fishing tournie" which boats with 4-5 people go out and catch the fish flying out of the air with nets. They count them in the end and the ones who caught the most, wins the trophy!

http://www.redneckfishingtournament.com/

There ya go. These people catch a whopping amount of carp, I wish they ran it more often. I think they only do it once a year. In Bath, IL.

I am not sure about the selling and such of them, but I would think for own use you could net them. Although, what do I know, I live in Wisco :rolleyes:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Dynamite works pretty well as a fishing device.......... :D :D

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Dynamite works pretty well as a fishing device.......... :D :D
so does dry ice if used as a fish bomb.. less destructive and safer to handle also :)

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I ever get down there. Just comeing back a bit, before I move. Yes, I'm moving in iwth my fiance and our daughter....and her mother. While I'd still like to move out of the city, finace wants to hang on to her parents house. It's a nice house and all, but just the lay out and such, can't garden, and do many of the things I we discuss on these forums.

For commercial fishing, netting is the best way to go. Whether it's a dropped hoop net or a panel streached across the channel. Try as I might after leaving several messages and emails, I cannot get any info on net trolling for them either way.

If I could convince the other half to move down that way, I'd love to set up a small time opperation, do my own harvesting, then smoking of the fish for sale. Who knows...just have to remain flexible, see what developes.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jax, my beek friend's dad is a commercial fisherman. Last weekend we grilled some asian carp he caught and it was fabulous.

I believe he uses the hoop nets, but I will ask and get more info on it for you. Especially tips on starting out on the cheap.

Dan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just came across this thread and website, very interesting. I was wondering what ever happened to this topic Jaxom? I have a good outlet for Asian carp at premium prices, wondering if you ever did anything with this and if you would be interested in partnering up to see if we could get something going. I plan a trip down to Louisiana sometime next year to check out their "problems" with the carp as well.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many game fish are imported, BTW.

And carp are fine eating according to everyone who has seriously tried them. There's a long history of carp as food fish in the USA. They were considered an eating fish and intentionally imported and stocked throughout the country for that reason. Same for the brown trout and others. For some reasons that's not known, the reputation of carp suffered more than other imported food fish. Long after being introduced, they started to be considered poor-man's fare. Now they're considered trash.

In MN, carp and other "rough" fish are not protected, so you can have as much as you want. And I think you can net them. I'm going to try to catch 40-50 lb next spring. I think it'd be great for canning (takes care of y-bones in buffalo), pickling, and freezing.

Like any meat, you have to learn to cook it correctly. I found lots of recipes on the interwebs.

I checked the price of Talopia at the grocery store the other day... it was over 8 $/lb. That's a stupid price.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Many game fish are imported, BTW.

And carp are fine eating according to everyone who has seriously tried them. There's a long history of carp as food fish in the USA. They were considered an eating fish and intentionally imported and stocked throughout the country for that reason. Same for the brown trout and others. For some reasons that's not known, the reputation of carp suffered more than other imported food fish. Long after being introduced, they started to be considered poor-man's fare. Now they're considered trash.
Like any meat, you have to learn to cook it correctly. I found lots of recipes on the interwebs..
Carp literaly ingest mud from the lake or river bottom into their system as they feed. They have what is called a "mud line"and if not cleaned properly it can severly taint the flavor of the fish. They are also quite bony with very little meat. I personally have never cleaned one as indeed they were considered trash but many people I came into contact with said they are excellent smoked. I always viewed them as fertilizer. (I used to bowfish them as a teen) Not sure if the asian carp has the same characteristic but some Chicago resturants have introduced them on the menu. Can't be all bad.
On the other hand I think it would be devastating if they were to find their way into the Great Lakes. I occasionally sport fish for salmon out of South Haven Michigan and were they to dissappear the asian carp would be way down on the list of fish I would prefer to fish for. Further up the Great Lakes chain they would destroy the walleye fishery in lakes Huron and Erie. To me walleye is the best eating fish there is. :old