Average Joe MREs

What's your opinion?

• Keep the ramen and add a vitamin pack

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Find a higher nutrition option (reccomendations please)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got some shallow plastic tubs, with wheels that makes sliding things under the bed a lot easier!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband won't let me because my dog sheds really bad and the fur collects under the bed. The couch isn't so bad so I might try there

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pull the tubs out and sweep/vacuum then put them back. Then he can't complain.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@tc556guy thank you for your input i appreciate it. I sadly don't have a vacuum sealer and know i cant afford to get one any time soon. We had to think ease of assembly when we started this part of our preps. I plan on adding sugar free candy as well as a moral booster that won't give us a sugar crash/craving, my stepson will have enough of an issue in that regard and so will i thanks to my soda addiction (its my one guilty pleasure). The heater packs are a very good idea and ill add it to the list of things to put in the new ones, we're waiting till we can afford to buy all the items at once without killin our grocery budget (this pay period I've got about $150 to play with for two weeks).
There are handheld vacuum pumps and bags to go with them. Our local walmart/kmart keep them by the large vacuum sealers. They run about $20 for the electric pump and $5 for the manual one. I have both. Use one in the house and one is in my camping gear.

http://www.kmart.com/ziploc-vacuum-starter-kit-quart-1-kit/p-029W686269110001P

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSave...82006&tmode=0000&veh=cse&sdc_id=1080426569647

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With care, some of those bags are reusable to seal, right? I have looked at them. Plus you can revac them after removing some of the contents, especially nice for dried foods.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With care, some of those bags are reusable to seal, right? I have looked at them. Plus you can revac them after removing some of the contents, especially nice for dried foods.
The ones I was thinking of/talking about are like regular Ziploc bags that have an airlock on the front below the zipper and can be used over and over with washing.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of beans and rice, 50/50 or Britesea idea of lentils/quinoa. Quinoa cooks up faster and has more protein than rice. You can grind the beans/lentil, rice, seasonings then it would cook much quicker and be calorie and nutritionally dense. 1 cup of bean/rice and 2 cups of water would probably be very filling. Straws filled with seasonings are a great idea and lightweight. It could be Mexican, Indian, Italian, etc. As far as the ramen goes, anything filling and with calories is good. I would think the dehydrated veggies would be good. Cooked, dried beans will still have protein. Peanut butter stirred into it will give it an Asian twist.

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Linda's Pantry on YouTube has some good videos on making meals in a jar/bag and good tips on dehydrating food in general. I'm in the process of dehydrating some pumpkins I picked up for $1/pumpkin. I have also dehydrated a lot of #10 cans of veggies. Whenever I want a few peas in a casserole for example I just throw in a handful.