Average Joe MREs

What's your opinion?

• Keep the ramen and add a vitamin pack

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Find a higher nutrition option (reccomendations please)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@MoonShadows spoke my thoughts. We have wheat berries stored in the mylar bags and they are rated for 30+ years of shelf life. I have a grinder to make flour for homemade bread, so that is why we have wheat stored.

We started slow in stocking up on the freeze dried food in the #10 cans. It is a little expensive to order it on-line and have it shipped. We found a place in Colorado that sells the food storage stuff, I believe it is a Morman store. A little at a time and it all eventually adds up. I think we will eat better if the SHTF than we do now.

We actually use it to make meal mixes for camping. so it gets rotated out a little bit.

Sometimes SAMs CLUB has freeze dried hashbrowns in the store, but you used to be able to order freeze dried foodstuffs and pick up in the store.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've saw regular frozen, shredded hash browns dehydrated. I think it's probably Linda's Pantry (again not me, another Linda). It could be cheaper to do it yourself.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just found and ordered these. What a time-saver!
http://mylarbagsdirect.com/mybaforvase.html

Don't forget you can also sprout your dried bean, wheat, lentils, etc to increase your vitamin intake if you are on a subsistence level.

Blanching the potato shreds is a PITA (ask me how I know...)but necessary if you are using your homegrown potatoes. If you aren't, then go for the frozen hashbrowns, they are already blanched, and dehydrate them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sprouting is a good idea for both the livestock AND the people- lots more nutrition in the sprouted stuff as opposed to the seed itself.