Baby Steps!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep. I've got Meyer lemons here - one of the few fruit trees that survives at my house...along with figs. He doesn't like figs so doesn't make sense for him to plant them. He wants oranges, lemons and limes for sure....a plum (for me) and maybe a peach or two...oh and pomegranates. I planted two last year and they're leafing out right now...hope to get a pomegranate or two this year. I'm trying to convince him to plant a couple pecan trees too. We shall see! There might be pecan trees there with my name on them, lol! I'll push grapes too... He's actually got a great place for grapes. There is a beautiful clothesline set-up which he keeps talking about taking down, but it would be the PERFECT place for a couple grape vines. I hadn't even thought about grapes - thanks for the idea Bay!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's got trees in the ground! We got him a lemon, a lime and an orange. Speaking of low maintenance - he got them in the ground at a good time. We're supposed to get rain most of the week so the watering is done for him!

There are a few more things I'd like him to get...like peach, plums, pecans. But... baby steps for now.

Bay - I totally forgot to look for grapes while we were there. I think perhaps another shopping trip is in order!

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great story. You certainly sound like the proud (and content) Mama. Sounds like he has a nice garden area and rich soil. Howz about a few pics of it?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have garden envy now… *sigh* My entire backyard at the moment is about that size.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a more traditional type of garden, but I've never done the rows like that. I've never seen where you get more doing it that way.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FEM, I do a combination of traditional, square foot and companion planting. I'm able to plant more in a small area than if I did it just traditional by doing it this way. Anything that grows as a vine gets planted against cattle panels as do tomatoes. I'm still trying to work out the correct spacing for corn and bush beans.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope you and I are both right, as I feel the same! I was looking at all the wonderful gardening stuff in the stores yesterday. From small hot boxes to get seeds started in to mini-greenhouses and little fruit trees with fruit already on… Wonderful stuff!

For the rabbits, that is something I should look into myself, Ireland has so many of them, it's crazy. Tiny little things! Gosh, they're cute. There are some good tips and suggestions for getting rid of them in the garden here: http://www.wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/rabbits.html

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Barn cats...two of them. They will make short work of the rabbits and any offspring they may have. Feed them lightly so they are hungry enough to really hunt...rabbit is a cat's favorite food. It's a natural way of doing it and they will earn their way around the farm like crazy.

Latest posts