Back to Eden Gardening Thread~Note: pic heavy thread.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do the wood chips help prevent weeds from coming up? It sure seems like it chokes them out, so why doesn't it choke out the veggies planted in it? I'd be interested in trying this.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do the wood chips help prevent weeds from coming up? It sure seems like it chokes them out, so why doesn't it choke out the veggies planted in it? I'd be interested in trying this.

They do suppress a good bit of the weeds, though some will grow anyway if you aren't real vigilant. The good thing about it is they are shallowly rooted and come out with a pleasing "rrrrrrrip!" sound and with very little effort of pulling if you let them go too far....if they are still little weedlings, you can just run a rake through them and they shuffle right on out of the chips. Weed seeds are most often dropped on the surface of the upper chip layer and don't get a good foothold on the more rich layer of goodness at the bottom....most won't germinate in the bare, dry chip layer at the top.

The vegetables are planted beneath the upper chip layer, which is the dry layer that doesn't hold much compost/soil, so they are able to put down deeper and wider roots, they get the good retained moisture being held there by the top layer of dry wood chips, and we, of course, nurture them when they arrive. ;) Most will part the chips much like you would make a furrow in the soil, plant into the soils below the chips, then pull the chips back around the seedlings when they appear.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had to scuffle hoe the whole garden again today, as the tiny weed seedlings are like a carpet in this exposed topsoil. This will keep happening until we haul chips and put on the top of this BTE. All the sudden the chips just seemed to get thin in most of the garden, so I guess that means it's time to get some chips on there.

On a bright note, I found a much cheaper and stronger alternative to the Agribon fabric for low tunnels...and I found it at Good Will. You know those bedskirts that are real cheapies and have the material that lies under the mattress that feels like paper more than fabric? Well...we can get those for $2.50 at the local GW and, depending on the size of the bedshirt, one can yield several feet of tunnel material by cutting that out of the bedskirt. Perfect for this purpose and much tougher than the Agribon!

If I get king sized skirts, those are 12 x 8 ft., so splitting it into to get two 12x4 ft. tunnel covers can get me 50 ft of tunnel for around $5 instead of $20 and shipping. Four ft is a bit squeezy to cover certain tunnels but I think it would work for mine. I got a twin yesterday to experiment with for my tiny squash tunnels.

What a clever idea. Now that's using your noodle! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hauled a truck load of chips yesterday, just need to distribute them. The sugar snap peas are heavy and in need of picking....if I am still here next year, I'll definitely trellis them better. Just never had sweet peas get this tall and thick before! :th

Will likely plant tomatoes soon...they are getting big enough to be put out. My pepper flat is showing germination! :celebrate That should be the last seedlings I start in trays this year.

Everything under the tunnel is looking GREAT! Don't know that I've ever grown such pretty lettuce, carrots and broccoli. Never grew pak choy before, but it's so quick to germinate and grow it's like greens on cocaine!

It's been a good garden year thus far!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With the price of salad greens in the grocery store it's a good idea to grow them yourself. I've never grown pak choy or bok choy but I'm thinking I should. Except for a few seeds of mesclun greens I'll wait until late summer for some fall greens.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree. getting the chips where you need them is a PITA. I've called a Tree Service, but no response. May go get a load today with highs in the 80's, or tomorrow with rain. I think I'll do it in the rain.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, tell me again where you got your scuffle hoe. I think I "need" one. All I have is the old fashioned hoe, and the scuffle makes so much more sense, with the cutting blade on both front and back sides of it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, tell me again where you got your scuffle hoe. I think I "need" one. All I have is the old fashioned hoe, and the scuffle makes so much more sense, with the cutting blade on both front and back sides of it.

Rogue Hoes.... https://roguehoe.com/gardening/

Lots to choose from. I'm still in love with this one...brings a huge smile to my face every time I use it, it's that slick! Cuts through Bermuda grass like butter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've got slugs browsing through my beautiful lettuce and pak choy under my tunnel. :somad Will get out the slug stuff tomorrow.

Will be cutting up some of the pak choy and sugar snap peas into salad tonight...can't wait to taste them! :drool