bake your cakes in a frying pan, on the stove

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great idea - will have to give it a try

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And old camping trick, but I've never thought to transfer my camp cooking skills to home--thanks for the post! "Upside-down" cakes are great in a cast iron skillet as well.

Niele da Kine, they sell those stoves at most camping stores--I don't know who makes them either, but probably all the main light-weight camp stove makers.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Would this work in a stainless steel pan? It gets really hot here in the summer sometimes, and I don't like turning the oven on.

Also, I have hotplates, rather than coils or a flat surface. Those things get hot and stay hot. Otherwise, this looks like it'd be a brilliant idea to try.
Try it, but if you have one I would use a heat diffuser under the pan bottom. If you don't have a heat diffuser ... by all means buy one!! They are cheap and great for lots of stuff.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Neko-chan said:
Would this work in a stainless steel pan? It gets really hot here in the summer sometimes, and I don't like turning the oven on.

Also, I have hotplates, rather than coils or a flat surface. Those things get hot and stay hot. Otherwise, this looks like it'd be a brilliant idea to try.
Try it, but if you have one I would use a heat diffuser under the pan bottom. If you don't have a heat diffuser ... by all means buy one!! They are cheap and great for lots of stuff.
That's a really cool diffuser, never seen one like that before--only the wire ones that you use under pyrex coffee or tea pots.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Diffusers are great when making cream soups, simmering sauces, and most of the time that I cook ....since I tend to wander off and let things burn. :hide :lol:

Oregonclan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have seen recipes for slow cooker cakes, and also some for microwaved cakes.

We live in the Pacific Northwest, and even summer is not hot in the evenings (hot streaks here last about one week and then back to moderate weather), so heat is not the issue, it is the cost of electricity.

We recently moved out of town from the suburbs and now have a woodstove, but our move happened mid fall, and getting dry wood was impossible, so we were left to use the baseboard heaters. Our average electric bill has been well over $300 a month, for a one level three bedroom ranch home, older, so am sure it is not well insulated.

Does anyone here have any idea how much a 220, older over takes in electricity to work? I have been trying to get our bill down.

BTW, cast iron dutch over is great, but takes some effort to learn how to use it. At the very least it would be easier over a rangetop than a fire!

Latest posts