Baker Creek Seed

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I live just north of Petaluma. I don't go there often, since I am not much of a comuter nor a shopper. But I will occasionally go to Petaluma for something special, like heirloom seeds that have actally been tested for GMO ;)
It is also where the animal auctions are. I haven't been to one yet. I am afraid if I went I would have to buy all of them :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I live just north of Petaluma. I don't go there often, since I am not much of a comuter nor a shopper. But I will occasionally go to Petaluma for something special, like heirloom seeds that have actally been tested for GMO ;)
It is also where the animal auctions are. I haven't been to one yet. I am afraid if I went I would have to buy all of them :lol:
I have a friend (well ... a friend of a friend) who lives about equidistant from Petaluma and Sebastapol, about 20 min. from either. The next time I'm down that way I'll let you know ... maybe we can meet up.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey! I opened my box today.....I'd left it on the cool porch until I could plant the garlic....and found a treasure chest of goodies, including non-GMO corn seeds!! Woohoo!!!!! and some lovely other goodies that are on display on my mantel for now. Thank you, FD!!!! :hugs

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freemotion if you ever have any questions about heirloom veggie plants and whether or not they will do well for you in your area just ask me--If I don't have a quick answer all the fine folks over at my "home" forum will know! ;) I have been gardening for many years and even worked at a big greenhouse for about 8 years.
I have been growing heirlooms and saving seeds for about 5 years or so and have been a member of Baker Creeks forum for almost 3 years even tho I read there for many months before joining.
The very most wonderful thing about heirlooms and Open pollinated veggies is that with just a bit of work/help you can buy them once and have them forever! Sure there are a few things that take a bit more work to keep the seed pure, but most are very simple and easy.
Once you get a good stock built up you can start trading with other heirloom/OP growers and get many different seeds and just keep them going! I right now have about 12 different pole beans, about 40 or so different tomato varieties and tons of other odds and ends. I spent about $30 in postage but have so many seeds that I won't have to buy any for many years, lucky for me tomato and beans don't have to be planted every year to keep them fresh. I even planted some tomatoes about 7 years ago that were from 1968! I can't even tell ya how much fun I've had!...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Emerald! I'll be making decisions this winter about next year's garden, and I'll be asking!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to get started gardening, and I want to use heritage seeds. But I've been wondering, what's a good source of info for what will grow well in my area - zone 8? Even if I'm not able to use all heritage seeds this year, I would like the info on what plants/crops grow well in my area.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
I want to get started gardening, and I want to use heritage seeds. But I've been wondering, what's a good source of info for what will grow well in my area - zone 8? Even if I'm not able to use all heritage seeds this year, I would like the info on what plants/crops grow well in my area.

I just googled vegetable gardening in Georgia, and lots of interesting sites came up. I won't link any, because you will know best what is helpful. I'm zone 8 too, but I don't think I can be very helpful - I've never been to Georgia, but I think you have more humidity, and possibly more summer rain than I get in Oregon.
As a side note: when we moved here 9 years ago I tried to garden as I had in California - can't be that different, right? Just a switch from zone 9 to zone 8. :tongue Anyway, after about 2-3 years of not very successful gardens I started a garden journal - nothing major, just max/min temps, amount of rainfall, 1st and last frosts, when things started to bloom, or were harvested, things like that. It has helped; the garden does better every year.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Bethanial said:

I just googled vegetable gardening in Georgia, and lots of interesting sites came up. I won't link any, because you will know best what is helpful. I'm zone 8 too, but I don't think I can be very helpful - I've never been to Georgia, but I think you have more humidity, and possibly more summer rain than I get in Oregon.
As a side note: when we moved here 9 years ago I tried to garden as I had in California - can't be that different, right? Just a switch from zone 9 to zone 8. :tongue Anyway, after about 2-3 years of not very successful gardens I started a garden journal - nothing major, just max/min temps, amount of rainfall, 1st and last frosts, when things started to bloom, or were harvested, things like that. It has helped; the garden does better every year.
Trying to figure out how you way up there and me way down here can both be zone 8! I'm sure we're definitely more humid ;) Thanks very much for the idea of the garden journal. I like that.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
ORChick said:
Bethanial said:

Trying to figure out how you way up there and me way down here can both be zone 8! I'm sure we're definitely more humid ;) Thanks very much for the idea of the garden journal. I like that.
The zones are made up of average annual minimum temperatures, and, of necessity, leave out a lot of detail. So, while you and I share similar winter low temperatures we don't necessarily share anything else in the climate department. There is more information here:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hrdzon3.html

Here in the west we have an added resource in the "Sunset Western Garden Book"; they have divided the area into many more areas, with more detailed information on climate. I don't know if anyone has done something similar for other areas of the country.

http://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/sunset-climate-zone-oregon-00418000067156/

ETA: Sunset link