Bananas - Naturally ripened vs. Chemically ripened - How to tell the difference

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
57504111_2017690745194306_8384569141603860480_n.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
True, that. However, sometimes I'll eat a banana at the "perfect" stage of ripeness, and it will be dry, and completely void of flavor. This, in comparison to the creamy melt in your mouth texture, and the smooth awesome flavor of a perfect banana.

Nor, am I trying to argue. Just trying to place this bit of information in an appropriate brain file: does not matter vs. somewhat significant to my purchasing decisions.

We are all familiar with the difference between tree ripened peaches, and the bland pithy peaches often sold at the grocery store. And, a tomato which is shipped to the grocer before ripe pales in comparison to a vine ripened tomato.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I frustrates me that there is so much that can be done to our food that is not required to be disclosed.

For instance, it took a real fight to allow milk producers to advertise that their milk is rBGH free. The producers that want to inject their cow and have the increased milk production didn't want anyone to know that they were using hormones on their cows.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So I looked it up. Ethylene is used. Same chemical as if the bananas ripened in a paper sack (Which does speed up the process).

So from what I can tell, the same chemical causes the ripening, just in one case, the amount is concentrated to accelerate the process.

So unless some other chemical used, I am not sure why there would be a concern?

:idunno

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually, they sometimes use a chemical to artificially ripen fruit that is a concern for human health. Note that this chemical is banned in some countries... I don't know if that includes the US or not.

From the web: "Ripening agents speed up the process of ripening offruits after they are picked prior to full ripening. These agents are particularly Unsaturated hydrocarbons; acetylene, ethylene, etc. However, a chemical known as Calcium Carbide (CaC2) is most commonly used for artificial ripening of fruits."

"Calcium carbide is a toxic and highly dangerous, corrosive chemical. Fruits that are ripened with this chemical can cause several harmful effects to the human health. Some of these effects are described below. Calcium carbide has the potential to cause cancer and contains traces of phosphorus hydride and arsenic."
https://m.onlymyhealth.com/everythi...e-before-you-eat-mango-this-season-1432110732

Artificial ripening can cause the fruit to be bland because it never really ripens, it is just changed to make it softer as if it has ripened, it is actually still an unripened fruit even though it looks and feels like it should.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Learn something new everyday. Thank you Sumi!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
good reasons to stick to the fruit that I can grow, or buy from local farmers. I guess I can get used to never having tropical fruit...