Barefoothavens Journey - Everything Starts Somewhere.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here are some more pics of how our property looked when we first moved in :) (PIC HEAVY)

And this is what it looks like now :)

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
More Pics :)

This is our water wheel being built. Our neighbour who is an engineer on the left and my Husband Mike on the right.

Here is the water wheel in place and free wheeling. It has a header pond feeding it. This was during a major flood. We've learnt to shut the wheel down in floods.

Here is my baby, my wood stove :)

And thanks to our neighbor, this is how we got our wood stove into the house. First onto the porch then on skates into place.

My green house

The Bigger Vegetable Garden

My husband building the milking barn. We used timber from our property and recycled goods that we came across for free like roofing iron, windows. It's nearly finished.

And this is the milking machine I'll be using once I start milking.

And this is My dear husband Michael & I. We've been together almost 25 years now.

We only got married this year in March. Just a short engagement lol. The ceremony was held over in the water wheel paddock. This pic is of Michael & I with our three sons Damian, Hunter, and Brayden.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
What a difference all the work made. And, that's a nice pic of your family.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks :) I've documented everything in pics and video since we moved in. It's a confidence boost to look back on what we started with and where we are now.... Oh I've got many more pics lol (pic crazy here) lol

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For anyone wondering. I am half Maori (my mother). The rest of me is french, spanish, Scottish :p. My Maori tribe is Ngati Mahanga which is a sub tribe of Tainui. Tainui was one of the first canoes to reach Aotearoa (New Zealand).

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wonderful pics and lovely to put a face a to the name! I'm looking at that wood stove relocation mission and thinking wow…. that must've been slightly nerve wrecking? Or, if it was me :pop

Whoops, hit "reply" too soon. Please tell us some of your farm building stories? I'll bet you have loads!

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sumi, I was quite nervous watching him lift the stove & move it through the porch onto a platform sitting on skates. I knew if he dropped it, it would have smashed through the porch. But he knows his digger so well. He did it with ease. Getting it inside through the slider doors & into it's final spot took much longer.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
For anyone wondering. I am half Maori (my mother). The rest of me is french, spanish, Scottish :p. My Maori tribe is Ngati Mahanga which is a sub tribe of Tainui. Tainui was one of the first canoes to reach Aotearoa (New Zealand).

I wondered if you might be part Maori, but wasn't going to ask, especially since you don't know me that well. I didn't want to take the chance that you might get offended.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wondered if you might be part Maori, but wasn't going to ask, especially since you don't know me that well. I didn't want to take the chance that you might get offended.

That's okay :) I often get people asking & it doesn't bother me.