BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well today has been pretty full:

* I fed the worms and I wet their bed :p I tried to take pics but the camera is acting stupid so no pics :(
*The chickens layed 6 eggs but they have layed over 11 for the past two days
*My cousin called. Me and Him and His Wife are taking a trip to our Uncle's organic egg farm Saturday. I CANT WAIT! Hes also gonna show me how to butcher a rabbit :woot
*All of my records on the poultry are refiled and are complete this time. I have all of winter egg layers, all of the hardy and medium to large ones labeled. I also had all of the chickens bunched up in good light this afternoon and out of the 22 only one of them looks like crap and that is #10 she has never layed, she looks horrible, she is small and looks unhealthy. I have a feeling I may cull her soon, hopefully Saturday evening if I can gather the nerve. And Mom's approval (she hates non laying chickens so I should be able to) I may feel for an egg with my ruibber gloves on tonight and tommorow night just incase she is laying.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I looked at 4, 10, and 14 in the vent area. 4 was semi moist, 10 was dry as a bone. and 14 was very moist. 10 is the one Im thinking about culling.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Do you guys think I should go ahead and cull her or wait till warmer weather and see what she does???

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think I will wait and see how she does in the first part of March.....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd cull...she's apparently just sucking up feed at this point. :hu that's just me though. I don't like slackers :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I'd cull...she's apparently just sucking up feed at this point. :hu that's just me though. I don't like slackers :p
Im not fond of slackers either I guess I need to. She is lacking and is mean. I may go ahead and do it Saturday evening. I have to prep myself for it.

See the thing is that all of em are laying. The ones that I thought werent I checked their vent and it was moist but hers was dry like paper is, it took me forever to find it. Now I have to bring it before the Mother and see what she says and if she says no then well I may do it anyway. Cause i know she aint laying.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If I cull her, Im going to do it differently than I have before. Im gonna tie her upside down on the clothes line and cut her throat. MAYBE. Then skin her. I aint doing that plucking crap anymore. It aint worth it. I may still do it my regular way (on a log with a hatchet). Thats how Im used to killing them. I may do it tommorow. Since tommorow is pretty much free except for rabbit hutch cleaning. Im gonna do it by myself NO granny help....I hope.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Jamester...if I can do it YOU can do it ;)
I just get nervous. But what I do is I have to visually in my head see myself do it then I KNOW I can. First Im gonna pray and thank God for eltting me have this chicken to use for my own purposes and then ask for the courage to do so.

What would you do with the meat?

She is around 10 mo. so she'd be tough so no frying, and aint fat enough for dumpling. I may get Mother or Granny to crockpot her...... :drool