BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just in! Monday the 25th to the following Sunday I will be gone! Going on trip to washington dc with FFA! It seems I cant set still.......

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have my new bunny buck! I was gonna name it Walter or I may name it Jamie :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
As long as you don't eat him, that's cool. :cool:
:lol: Walter is official........ :p

I never did name my birthday doe...................hmmmmmmmmm......maybe Cindi or Ruth or Alma..........

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well ten days later, I guess update time! Ive had no concentration or time it seems like.....major family drama. :/ But anyhow, this evening Im watching a storm blow in from the South. Lets hope my corn dont go down........ :fl Im also packing my bags for Washington, I leave early Tuesday. So I started packing today. I have done a few things in the past 10 days.

In the food preservation area, got all of the stuff we have collected for the pantry and packaged 20 lbs of Self Rising Flour, 20 lbs of All Purpose Flour, 20 lbs. of cornmeal in the food buckets from Lehmans, they are sealed now. I also packaged 6 lbs of pinto beans, boxed up several assorted items. Got free food buckets from Wal Mart and Kroger. :D Got a fairly good deal on Pint jars for our sweet corn which will hopefully mass produce. Then packed some noodles. Been reading through my Backwoods Home books on Emergency Preparedness and food stuffs. Getting a good idea on amounts of all things. Then got jars for herbs and spices. Right now I have a half pint of wild mint. Then have Rosemary, Sage, Spearmint, and Sweet Basil drying. Plus onions in the dehydrator to make onion powder. Then tomorow I gotta go and start to clear the area for the pantry.

In the meat area, in exactly a month my Cornish Rock chicks will ship from Welp Hatchery. But I hope it is moderatley cool by then, its so miserable out. I prefer snow anyday. Then my meat ducks are HUGE. The drakes are gonna be slaughtered in probably 3 to 4 weeks they are getting big.
1419_sam_1844.jpg

In the chicken area, the rooster was gave away a week ago. I havent missed at all despite being my first rooster. But one of the buff roos I hatched is moving up the totem pole, I cant wait till he is huge as well.
1419_sam_1846.jpg

Then my little buff pullet the hen hatched is growing right up, she is getting BIG!
1419_sam_1847.jpg

In rabbit news, my new buck has settled in quite nicely! He wont be able to breed until this November but I may go ahead and breed with my sisters buck. So I have will have meaties in November.

Here is a pic of him he is the white with grey spots.......
1419_sam_1854.jpg

This is a homestead report, no other way to put it. I just havent updated for a while so here ya go!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Cute bunnies. I'm not sure if I could raise bunnies to eat them. I've had pet rabbits for most of my life. And, it's hard for me NOT to bid on the cute ones I see at the livestock auction.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Cute bunnies. I'm not sure if I could raise bunnies to eat them. I've had pet rabbits for most of my life. And, it's hard for me NOT to bid on the cute ones I see at the livestock auction.
Im gradually working up to it.......

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Denim Deb said:
Im gradually working up to it.......
You'll be fine! :thumbsup