BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
On the CornishX's - so far, we've nursed our lot of all females through this horrible heat. I've limited the feed until evening when it starts to cool down, letting them eat at night and early morning. The kids have been replacing the water every 3 hours with fresh ice water. So far so good, 3 weeks until processing.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
How goes the homestead work this week?
I was just gettin on to update!

Well Im super busy with everything! My washington trip was fun! I made several friends....

Then we have tons of corn canned tommorow will wrap up this patch......then we move to beans.

Then Thursday school starts :D and this year I have got to step up my FFA stuff.....Im gonna be covered up.

My head is extremely clouded now lots other than this going on :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well my days have just gotten brighter and Im back to normal. SOO UPDATE TIME!! :weee

School has started and this year should be good. Next week is county fair Im taking a picture of broody buff and chicks from the spring. Then Im going to State Fair more than likely, competing of course. But my schedule is good, I have my mom in class. She aint bad suprisingly but other kids can definitely tell were related personality wise :p

For homestead stuff. The pantry is coming along fairly well dont lack much of having a years supply of corn 42 pints now, I want about 18 more. Some of which I have from last year and others will come from the late patch. Next week beans start. Aiming for 104 quarts on them and will probably get them they are full of bloom. Also have 6 pints of chicken broth. So all is good there.

Nextly, I butcher a duck. It went horribly wrong but the meat is AWESOME. Just like roast beef!! I have 11 left to do in a month them some rabbits and a roo. I have one trying to make a nest, if I get permission I might let her. The ducks are very good. My meat chicks ship in two weeks almost.

Also when it cools down a bit Im gonna atttempt to design a rabbit tractor for my 2 older does, my new buck, and my doe from my birthday litter. So they can get fed better and cheaper since they are the biggest feed consumers.

The air has got a fallish feel to it. I cant wait! I love fall and cooler weather! Some leaves are changing already, the corn husks are uber thick, and August has started very foggy. So snowy, cold winter is upon us. :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
The air has got a fallish feel to it. I cant wait! I love fall and cooler weather! Some leaves are changing already, the corn husks are uber thick, and August has started very foggy. So snowy, cold winter is upon us. :D
I smelled autumn this week too!!!

Congrats on all the storage!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Britesea said:
what went wrong with the duck massacree?
It was way to hot first of all, and I shouldve read a little more on them......