My ducks hatched! :D Just six :woot

And a meatie is dying and I have no clue why........ :(

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
My ducks hatched! :D Just six :woot

And a meatie is dying and I have no clue why........ :(
It happens sometimes, my first batch this year I lost 11 before the heat took most of the ones that were left. In the second two batches, so far :)fl) I've lost less than 1/2 of that number total.

Hang in there, dude

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I will Im gonna go a more traditional route come spring..........

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
don't be afraid to try them again - there are a lot of factors that play into it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:
don't be afraid to try them again - there are a lot of factors that play into it.
Oh Im not. Its always been my mental plan to try both. And see which is cost effective and more efficient. Taste, etc.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Grats on the duckies :D i am still waiting for mine to start popping out. I do have 3 chicks now :lol: I have more in the bator that I pulled from under the duck. And the chickens KEEP giving her eggs :barnie

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Grats on the duckies :D i am still waiting for mine to start popping out. I do have 3 chicks now :lol: I have more in the bator that I pulled from under the duck. And the chickens KEEP giving her eggs :barnie
:he

I hate that....I eventually quarintined mine

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
:he

I hate that....I eventually quarintined mine
yeah...wellll last time i did THAT she quit sitting :/ Stupid birds!! :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah I know long time since an update, but its here now. :D

This week has been fairly good. Having FFA drama and thats horrible its a pain in da butt. :( :(

On the 26th I started out with 26 meat birds and Im done to 18 :( I dont know why, when it was hot they didnt have the lamp, keep the brooder clean, bI rotated the feed every 12 hours, plenty of water, and now that its chilly I have the lamp on and they seem fine now. :hu Who knows?

Winter downsizing began yesterday I traded two adult duck hens for a young drake to slaughter. Im done to 11 meat ducks, and a breeding pair for spring. We slaughtered a duck today, this was more of a trial an error day. It will be perfected one day!! Then tomorrow Im getting rid of three rabbits from the summer tomorrow. Then next weekend Im doing another duck and a rooster.

Then yesterday we ordered 4 new apple trees, a red delicious, yellow delicious, cortland, and a winesap. :D Then we have a good selection of varieties and in the spring Im gonna graft my own trees :D save BIG money.

I was reading in mother earth news that I could construct a moveable electronetting enclosure in the yard for the goats. WHat are your thoughts?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Yeah I know long time since an update, but its here now. :D

This week has been fairly good. Having FFA drama and thats horrible its a pain in da butt. :( :(

On the 26th I started out with 26 meat birds and Im done to 18 :( I dont know why, when it was hot they didnt have the lamp, keep the brooder clean, bI rotated the feed every 12 hours, plenty of water, and now that its chilly I have the lamp on and they seem fine now. :hu Who knows?

Winter downsizing began yesterday I traded two adult duck hens for a young drake to slaughter. Im done to 11 meat ducks, and a breeding pair for spring. We slaughtered a duck today, this was more of a trial an error day. It will be perfected one day!! Then tomorrow Im getting rid of three rabbits from the summer tomorrow. Then next weekend Im doing another duck and a rooster.

Then yesterday we ordered 4 new apple trees, a red delicious, yellow delicious, cortland, and a winesap. :D Then we have a good selection of varieties and in the spring Im gonna graft my own trees :D save BIG money.

I was reading in mother earth news that I could construct a moveable electronetting enclosure in the yard for the goats. WHat are your thoughts?
I think a number of folks here could use you dropping by for a week or two each......

Latest posts