BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks Jamie!

Countdown to hatching/deliveries begins!

Ducklings are due soon, I have no clue how many eggs are under her but I know within the next week! So I need to start to try and sell some.............and reduce the adults.

Cornish cross chicks are either due in the morning or Wednesday morning! Meaties! Woohoo!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have another broody duck sitting on about a dozen mixed xhixken and duck eggs...can't wait to see how THIS one turns out :/ I also have a few chicken eggs in the bator. All delaware's.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You must take the chicks when they hatch because she will continue to set duck eggs to.......

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
No ducklings but we have chicks! Sadly we have lost two out of twenty six, Im not totally sure why though. Woohoo for meaties!! :woot

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ive lost two more meaties :(

I should have listened to Jackie Clay and Harvey Ussery..........next year will be regular White Rock cockerels from Mt Healthy.................

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I've found with the meaties, having all pullets CX's, I have fewer losses. Two weeks now, and I've only lost 1 out of 36. Only lost 3 of 35 in the last batch.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Why do they just randomly drop?
genetics - circulatory systems and skeletal issues caused by the rapid growth. I've found it easier to ease females along that males. Honestly, if I keep it under a 10% loss rate for a batch, I'm okay.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I've found with the meaties, having all pullets CX's, I have fewer losses. Two weeks now, and I've only lost 1 out of 36. Only lost 3 of 35 in the last batch.
I buy mine from Welps and have pretty darned good luck, but I prefer the pullets as well. They are more active and grow a bit slower.

BarredBuff wrote:

Why do they just randomly drop?

At first it is usually just defective plumbing. Later their hearts can not keep up with the growth rate. I had one chick prolapse a rectum a day or so in with this batch. It just happens.

Also make sure you have no corners in the brooder. They are highly efficient at smashing and smothering each other. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mine are from welp and in a stock tank, hopefully they will straighten up........... :fl