BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
abifae said:
This is my first year canning at all and I am already addicted.
It is addicting. Once you get that first jar its all over :p
:lol: We basically posted the same thing within a minute of each other.

Pizza sauce in the works for today! Need to leave in about an hour to run to the flea/farmers market. Need anything? :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:
abifae said:
This is my first year canning at all and I am already addicted.
It is addicting. Once you get that first jar its all over :p
:lol: We basically posted the same thing within a minute of each other.

Pizza sauce in the works for today! Need to leave in about an hour to run to the flea/farmers market. Need anything? :p
:lol:

I hadnt realized that! A recipe for that pizza sauce would be much appreciated to be put into my library.....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'll get two to you later in the day - can't find the recipe box right now, but they are soooo good.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well today was numbing. Im tired. We canned, picked, shucked, silked, etc. on 7 quarts of sweet corn. Then I picked all of my dent corn while Mom built racks to cure it on..........Im sooooooooooo tired.......... :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Well today was numbing. Im tired. We canned, picked, shucked, silked, etc. on 7 quarts of sweet corn. Then I picked all of my dent corn while Mom built racks to cure it on..........Im sooooooooooo tired.......... :)
It was only 4:30 or so, the day is still young!!!!!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Be back in a bit, pizza sauce is ready to go in the jars. DW is working in a booth over at the Mantua Potato Festival tonight. The kids are running around with their friends (in the rain) and I'm home alone canning.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hey fellow SS'ers. Things are pretty good at the ole homestead. The meat chickens have finally quit dying. :D I also harvested my feed corn Saturday its curing on racks now. I didnt get as much as I expected but I got a good amount. I have been pondering a few things could you help me?

1. Would this work as chicken feed? Simple scratch mix soaked in some milk, with oat sprouts. Plus regular free range. We are trying to find ways to cut back bills and they are a lot of expense.
2.Ive been contemplating my barn lately. Im going to start off with two does, definitely. Then I was thinking two may not be enough. We are a family of five, I plan on making buttermilk, ice cream (not regularily), yogurt (maybe), cheeses, butter (Im going to gradually collect cream), and plus milk to drink. Then use it to feed the chickens like above. Also would I be able to seel week old kids at auctions barn?
3. Ive ordered more apple trees, what are some things I can do for maximum harvest?

THANKS BB

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Hey fellow SS'ers. Things are pretty good at the ole homestead. The meat chickens have finally quit dying. :D I also harvested my feed corn Saturday its curing on racks now. I didnt get as much as I expected but I got a good amount. I have been pondering a few things could you help me?

1. Would this work as chicken feed? Simple scratch mix soaked in some milk, with oat sprouts. Plus regular free range. We are trying to find ways to cut back bills and they are a lot of expense.
2.Ive been contemplating my barn lately. Im going to start off with two does, definitely. Then I was thinking two may not be enough. We are a family of five, I plan on making buttermilk, ice cream (not regularily), yogurt (maybe), cheeses, butter (Im going to gradually collect cream), and plus milk to drink. Then use it to feed the chickens like above. Also would I be able to seel week old kids at auctions barn?
3. Ive ordered more apple trees, what are some things I can do for maximum harvest?

THANKS BB
Don't know about the first two, but keeping the goats out of the apple trees would be a good start... ;)