BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Here as some Winter Wonderland pictures from this morning. Our weather is so crazy. Got about three inches of snow this morning, and we are supposed to have thunderstorms this weekend.

O034oZ0BSoG%5Ii%9UtWWQ.jpg

k7TZkIHFR2m8OQ9AXYE8wg.jpg

HsVCSINdT7+Tmr%ETpYI6w.jpg

Q4nOmp%SR3SPkgZKQXCMWA.jpg

joO5cTzNRwK4js2I+aHB0Q.jpg

And some WONDERFUL homemade biscuits and gravy!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
After a bout with winter last Friday, we are back into Spring like weather. It's in the low 50s during the day, and high 30s in the evening. I'm working to get lots of things cleaned up and re-built for the Spring and Summer. I've spent the last few evenings cleaning up around my chicken coops and rabbit hutches. It'll be a while before I get it completely cleared. However, I am throwing things away and collecting useful materials as I go.

I'm constructing my raised beds next week with some of my students. I buy the materials, they work hard, and I get raised beds and they get a grade. It's really quite the deal. However, I have located 10 random concrete blocks to make into a raised bed. Then, I rediscovered five used tires that would make some okay garden beds. But, I am concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Anybody used tires in gardening before?

VTSeEd3hTISJavrEDZuOxw.jpg

Meanwhile, I still have my gander, Jack. He's around 7 years old now, and still as spunky as ever.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We have used tired for planting potatoes in. Fill it with soil/compost, plant the potatoes, wait until it grows tall, then stack another tire on top of it, fill with soil/compost until the leaves and stalks are mostly covered, wait for it to grow.. rinse and repeat. Great method to grow taters in a small space and harvesting is easy. You just push the stack over and collect the harvest.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Using tires in gardening is controversial. There are those who state that the chemical leachate can't be good! And... I'll not argue that point. However... I am playing the ultimate hypocrite here. I've grown cucurbits in tires with fantastic results. The tires catch extra rain, provide extra heat.

In the toxic chemical camp... further statements say that an intact tire is not as likely to leach as much as the chunked up tires that are used for mulch. Now... using tires for mulch is IMO a totally NASTY practice! Better use would be to turn them into mats at the back door to catch the grunge from my perpetually nasty shoes/boots!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do really. I may use them for flowers in my garden this year. I'd like to plant peppers in them.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday, I had a fairly productive evening. My aunt and Mom finished burning the garden off. We were going to get the ground turned tonight (it was dry enough), but the plow man's tractor was flat and we had no easy way to fill it. So, that gets delayed. I was hoping to get some potatoes, onions, and brassicas in the ground at end of next week. But, no luck.

However, Dad took the Gator to the farm last night. I had done all of the service and general repairs on it over the Winter, and it was still over heating. He took the radiator, and fan out. Fan wire had been chewed in half. I am hoping that is all that the fix up on it requires. While he has all of it tore out, we are going to drain the antifreeze and replace the censor on it. Hopefully, the gator will finally be usable.

I've got lots of trees to cleanup, and prune. Plus, I'm still cleaning around the coops. This will help me get all of those jobs done easily.

U3LS8XhZSfqbo0FF34N2lQ.jpg

Fires starting to burn. This was the second round. I had terrible weeds last year. It really helps to do this I believe.

XIeKTJp9QEq3j2XGVkoFZQ.jpg

While cleaning round the coop, I found an nest of Easter eggs. My girls are laying out! A true Easter egg hunt.

ufFgLwdCRSW6zhavteeENw.jpg

As always, Ticky had the watchful eye as I work.

Today was a good and busy day at work. We are transplanting in my school greenhouse. I'm gearing up for flower season. I walked approximately 16,000 steps at work today. I need the exercise.

Then got to enjoy teaching our Wednesday night Bible Study at the home church. Love my Wednesday evening "booster shot" it is much needed!

Have a blessed evening!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Being busy is a good feeling. I picked up 13,000 steps today. Still not finished transplanting!!!

However, plow man got his tractor fixed and garden is plowed. He plowed too deep but its at least turned under.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Today has been a crazy day! Lots of stuff accomplished. I had to go to work this morning and care for my transplants. They look good and she start growing well this week. While, over there Mom and my aunt sowed the heirloom tomatoes, peppers, and flowers for the garden this year. I had quite a bit of room left over from my school sales, so, I decided to do my plants there too. I bought the materials, but using the space. Sown about 600 tomatoes, peppers, and flowers. I've actually got more to take back over there to do. I forgot my Bill Bean tomato seed at home, and Gran had some she wanted raised too. About 24 varieties of tomatoes. There's no way we will use them all, but that gives plenty to plant, re-plant and give away. They should germinate around Wednesday or Thursday.

The plow man came back and disced the garden today. The soil worked really well. I was able to till it up for my potato patch this year too. I've never been able to plant potatoes this early. I bought a peck each of Kennebec, Yukon Gold, and Red Pontiac plus some onion sets. That should be able to be planted on Monday evening. I've worked up a 40' x 20' plot and if they do well that should produce plenty of potatoes to eat, store, and can next year. Not had any potatoes out of the garden for 4 years. None were planted during my sabbatical.

This evening, I was able to plant 28 garlic cloves in one of my old raised beds. The bulbs were poor quality. They were dried up and one was rotting. I threw a lot away. I'll be surprised if they come up. But, it was a last minute decision to plant garlic. I've grown Elephant garlic in years past with good success. If this comes up, it'll provide plenty to can with and store this Winter.

I think I am going to use my old chicken run to raise broccoli and cabbage in. The soil is rich and worked up well with a spade this evening. I can probably treat it as a raised bed and do it by the square foot. I've got to get the weeds out of it, and till it well, but it should grow some good cabbage and broccoli. It's also fenced in which is a plus.

I should get the gator back this week. Then I will be able to start hauling manure like crazy to the garden from the neighbor's. He is going to let me have all I want. Weather and timing are working in my favor this year, and I am thankful to GOD for that. Praise his HOLY name.

2%Y8Qk0OScOyTdCzJVjhJg.jpg

One of my brassicas from early this week. My older plants have four leaves now.