BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hi folks! This week has got off to a great start on the homestead. I am so glad to be back doing things that I love. I forget how wonderful this really was. I've been busy getting ready to garden, and preparing for a flock of chickens next week.

z7HajCIiTQujB9mOxKjafg.jpg

Last night, we planted three 50 foot rows of potatoes in the garden. This is the earliest they've ever been planted. Three different varieties: Kennebec, Red Pontiac, and Yukon Gold. I didn't plant as many as I thought they would, but I do know for the future. Potatoes have always been a difficult crop for me, but I think with some more research and work this could be a good crop. I am remembering what I forgot and learning all new things.

ynSRurhDQ8ixDv0lxkrpog.jpg

Tonight, I tilled up the old chicken run for a patch of broccoli and cabbage.The soil is beautiful! I think they'll grow great. It is a wetter area, but the soil looks fantastic. I'm probably going to try and grow them in a square foot style with straw mulching. I've got Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage and Calabrese Sprouting broccoli coming along nicely in my greenhouse. They should be ready in two weeks or so.

A week from tomorrow I should have my new chicks! I ordered 85 babies. A co-worker and I went in together on them. An even mix of White Plymouth Rocks, Black Australorps, Dominiques, Rhode Island Reds, and Buff Orpingtons. Praying they ship okay and do well for us!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are making great progress. Nice breed selection. I like your first 3 breeds, will confess that I bear no fondness for the latter 2! But, isn't it great that we have so many breeds to choose from???

I love your verse in Isaiah. Lots of good meat in that book.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am not fond of RIR either. I find them to be too aggressive. Every time I try a new chicken breed I'm disappointed because they're just not Dominiques. I think I'm just going to get a pile more of them. There's really nothing like a good dom.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I had Rhode Island Reds 10 years ago, and had some problems with them, but most of it was management on my part. I wanted to try them again and see what happens. Dominiques are by far my favorite. Love them! The Buff Orpingtons are one of my favorites because I usually get good mommas out of them.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also love Doms. IMO, every flock needs Doms and EE or Ams. I think the personalities of Doms and EE are a perfect blend together. I added some Buck Eyes to my flock, and am enjoying them. They have a nice Pea comb and lovely mahogany feather color. Good size also!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
85 chicks!!!!! :th How many of those will be yours? Are you going to sell eggs, BB?

50 hens are mine and a few roosters. I'll save a few from my current flock too. Planning on selling eggs again.

What do you all think is a fair price for farm eggs? Planning on making some signs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Totally depends on your area but here, people get $4/dozen at farmers markets but selling casually it's usually $3/dozen. I always charged $3.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Market is depressed here. I sell for $2.50, but have seen signs on the main road past my road for $2.00. I feel that $2.50 is giving them away. If I was buying bedding, I wouldn't even break even, not even counting my housing costs.