BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! I would not have the storage space for that many cartons. I don't want to put them in my basement b/c I fear that they might get musty. So, I have a closet. Occasionally, my pile of cartons will get about as tall as I am! When the stash gets low, I put up a sign at church, and my pile gets replenished within 2 weeks.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have been very busy this week with work, and working at home!

0Rzxbm4EScaT3iLjNAcn%Q.jpg

Some of my tomatoes are coming up really. They are much bigger now, and will be transplanted early next week. I am still holding out on some of my tasty heirloom to pop up. On the bright side, my canning tomatoes came up great. I did have to fix a makeshift greenhouse in my greenhouse to get them to germinate. Clear plastic and an electric blanket made them pop right up.

4GpQwX%jTAWUzRlpVuNHnA.jpg

My chicks came in and are doing great! Plenty of new biddies to lay eggs and make manure for my garden!!!

4GG5Mx3hSguumFz3+T7BWQ.jpg

My raised beds are coming along well too. I have six built and need to finish two or three more. '

I have also been hauling manure like crazy!! Tonight, I even got the plastic laid down for my brassica crops in the old chicken run. I'll be planting them next week...

Hope everyone is having a great week!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once again, I feel like I just posted to this journal, but I guess not!

Today, I signed a contract to teach agriculture and advise a FFA chapter in a community within driving distance of my home. So, great news and God worked it all out. That's a great and funny story, but God had His hands in the delivery. It seems to be a great place to work. I have a new greenhouse, and mechanics shop to utilize in education. I will be teaching Plant Science and Agricultural Mechanics. I am extremely excited for this next step.

This also means that I am returning home for a few years while I save money and work to buy my own homestead. I didn't think this is how life would work out, but I am so very thankful. This year I am in the process of restoring a lot of the work I had previously done.

Luckily, I think I have the garden under control. It needs rain, but seems to be on track to provide a good little supply of food. I have harvested a few strawberries and some green onions. I have plenty of tomatoes, to can and make into sauces, planted. I have green beans and corn coming up. I set out sweet potatoes this morning, and have planted okra and cucumbers.

I'm waiting on my seeds for my winter squash, lima beans, watermelon, and summer squash. Then, I will do another planting of corn and pole beans. The only thing I am missing is potatoes, but I'll get those back next year. Planning on growing kale, cabbage, peas, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, greens, carrots, and turnips this fall to round out my food storage.

My next project is to get my hen house back in order. I have lots of culling to do. I plan on canning a lot of my old hens. My next goal is to order a new set of laying hens and some broilers to replenish my pantry this fall. I have repairs and adjustments to make, but it will happen. Tonight, I have a Buff Orpington set on a clutch of eggs and somewhere in the brush, and fence rows I have a turkey hen setting a nest.

I hope to can a lot and re stock my pantry this fall. Lots of work to do and more projects to come. I forgot how much I love this lifestyle. God is so good to me...

Congrats

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Lots of wonderful new beginnings there! The seedlings and chicks look great!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This week has been a whirlwind while we have been on Spring Break. Here are some pics from the week:

m8fBwOT4SK++HqIw6bdaag.jpg

My tomato seedlings are doing well. My canning tomatoes germinated great, but the germination on my others were spotty. I've got about 15 - 20 of tomatoes plus cosmos and zinnias transplanted. Around 350 plants in all I think.

G5+BAxChSZKI4aGN298X%Q.jpg

Chicks are growing rapidly...

IMG_0860.JPG

Also, I managed to get a new dog for free. This is my new beagle hound, Daisy. She is a doll. Her lungs also work exceptionally well.

di0Y+mKmTCOtl89m2WYC4g.jpg

These are flowers in my school greenhouse. "Bee" Marigolds. First blooms are coming and we are gearing to open up shortly.

Bk%Bb2hiTmqjkqewPzSVIw.jpg

Two raised beds filled, and planted now. Carrots and a few cabbages in the double bed, and storage onions and a few broccolis in the single bed. Still buying soil as we can afford it. However, the beds are coming together!!

Have a great weekend!