Basic Homesteading Skills You Should Learn

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
learn new skills in the winter time when the homestead is slow. pick one and go. so far my winter skills have been axeman ship, rehandling wooden tools, leather work, reloading, and navigation. Im a tradesman so i get plenty of time fixin stuff at work but its a great skill. Im a homesteader so i get plenty of practice growing and preserving food in the summer.

KEEP BUILDING THAT LIBRARY

20240401_215437.jpg
20240401_215433.jpg
20240401_215429.jpg

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I applied styptic powder to myself once. All creatures here get cornstarch now. If the wound doesn't need stitches or vet/doctor, it stops the bleeding quite well. Also doesn't make you scream like someone poured hot acid into a knife wound.
Did that a few weeks ago. A cut on my hand would not stop bleeding. It didn’t even work lol. Glued it shut and had to reapply the glue several times. But it’s now healed just fine!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
nobody knows everything. build a library View attachment 19351

Agreed👍 My go to is Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliancea and the Story's Guides for a deeper dives on specific topics.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i used some liquid bandaid a few weeks ago when i managed to stab myself with a broken cup. so, yes, you can teach an old-dog a new trick... :) it worked well. we still should get a new package of bandaids because the ones we have are pretty old and when you need them you don't want to be driving down the road with a wad of toilet paper and duct tape or some old shirt wrapped around your paw.