Baymule's Feeder Pigs 2017

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you. That is why I posted and took so many pictures. We learn from each other! This was the first time I ever tackled a domestic hog. I've processed deer, feral hogs, rabbits, chickens..... We were pretty proud of ourselves and like the smoked bacon, smoked sausage and pan sausage better than last year's hog that we had processed. @crealbilly you can do this, but I don't think it's gonna be Miss Pork Chop! :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you. That is why I posted and took so many pictures. We learn from each other! This was the first time I ever tackled a domestic hog. I've processed deer, feral hogs, rabbits, chickens..... We were pretty proud of ourselves and like the smoked bacon, smoked sausage and pan sausage better than last year's hog that we had processed. @crealbilly you can do this, but I don't think it's gonna be Miss Pork Chop! :lol:

You wouldn't want to wager on that would you? Miss Pork Chop will be table fare. albeit not a feeder hog, I think she'll make a fine family pig pickin pig :) or maybe... A little meat for the freezer - I haven't decided yet.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's hard to process your own pigs, the first few times, after watching them grow up and getting to know (and sometimes love) them. But the home grown meat is so superior to the stuff you buy at the butchers. And the feeling you get from sitting down at the table to a meal you grew and raised and processed yourself, turns even the most basic meal into a feast.

I have a feeling Miss Pork Chop is going to turn out to be the unexpected, unplanned start of you keeping (and processing) pigs for awhile to come now ;) You just needed that little push to get you going!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow!!! I feel like such a wimp now. I can butcher out a buck pretty well but man all that pork meat looks absolutely delicious. I need to learn - I guess there is no better time to start learning than right now re-reading though this thread

Yes -- Bay has made a great tutorial !! :clap :)

And you have Miss Pork Chop to deal with. Smaller than those Bay processed!! I liked my AGH hogs because of that. When mine were ready I took them for a "kill & chill"...so picked up a whole hog gutted and chilled. Had them cut into large sections to transport and process at home. In years back, the head, feet, everything but the squeal would be used. I wasted the heads, guts, etc. Now have a source for person who will use for dogs. Suld have cut the jowl meats out...didn't. Smoke those ears -- they're $1 each at pet store.:cool:

Yes -- it can be difficult to butcher an animal you watched grow and you MUST, MUST have that mindset at the beginning. Butchering is "messy" and Clorox, a lot of clean surface, tubs, equipment is needed. Others to help is a real good thing!! But some are not agreeable to it all.

My hardest is a rabbit....cute factor....never did the deed but helped butcher & clean once done. That is an animal that has great meat production & quality, with less demand & expense while growing out. If I were in a place that I needed to slaughter, I could -- survival pushes us forward.

I have to be "food certified" card holder to do the demo jobs, so I observe temperatures, containers, wash hands & equipment, use gloves, change often, etc... but, I know that home slaughter day has it's own challenges. We do as much as we can and I'm eating the results -- still alive to tell about it. :lol:

So, Bay, I know you raised rabbits for meat and a lot of them! How did you find the best way to dispatch them?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hung a rabbit upside down, stroked it's ears forward to calm them. Then I hit them hard right behind the ears with a hammer handle. As I did more, I just karate chopped with my hand in the same spot, breaking their neck.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't do the rabbit thing. Anything else, but not rabbits. I just read that in Venezuela people are starving so the government handed out rabbits and instructed them to learn how to like eating rabbits. No one is eating them. Now they have starving people with cute fluffy pet rabbits.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
King Ranch Rabbit Cassarole, fried rabbit, rabbit gumbo, rabbit and dumplings, Bunny Burgers, BBQ rabbit, rabbit chili with grated cheese, chopped onions and fritos on top, rabbit sausage.....:drool

Dumb Venezuelans, I'd be eating some rabbit!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a recipe for rabbit and squirrel gumbo I want to try. I would eat a rabbit... I just can't do the deed, or watch it be done for that matter!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't do the rabbit thing. Anything else, but not rabbits. I just read that in Venezuela people are starving so the government handed out rabbits and instructed them to learn how to like eating rabbits. No one is eating them. Now they have starving people with cute fluffy pet rabbits.

This might just change your mind... Crack Slaw. Had ground bunny fu fu (instead of beef that the recipe calls for) just last night for dinner. It's a really good iron skillet dish.

IMG_20170927_191727733_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170927_191742602.jpg

IMG_20170927_191803190.jpg

Latest posts