Beanie - Crazy Acres is the place to be!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beanie-
I bragged on your beautiful kitchen to my neighbors!

Come to find out, they are redoing the farmhouse they inherited, and their kitchen (should eventually be) similar to yours! Got an awesome tour of the house and their work, thanks to you, so thanks ;)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beanie said:
Marianne said:
Gotta ask...did you 'have' to put the sleepers above the existing floor? We put radiant heat in a sandwich between two floors, so needed to put the same size sleepers throughout the rest of the main floor so the height would be the same. We cut 3-4" strips of scrap 3/4" T&G for our sleepers and just put them down on the first subfloor.

Oops, forgot to say that the floor looks great!
The sleepers are on a poured concrete pad. (part of the old garage)
Dang girl! I wish we had thought about heat strips!!!!
Oh, it sucked when we did ours. We had two 250' loops (we did hydronic - water), and it's important to keep the loops pretty close to the same length. We put down pieces of that thin, blue styrofoam insulation, the kind that they use under vinyl siding. Then HD aluminum foil, then the tubing. Pex tubing was a blast...'wrassling' that length was a 2 person job, for sure. Then of course, we had to secure it to the floor...and miss it when we were screwing in the top subfloor.

It's not like it got done in a couple days either. We had to walk on the strips for a couple weeks or so, I bet. Of course, DH had to be out of town all week, so we could only work on the weekends. This stuff always takes sooo much longer than we think it should, huh!

I don't blame you for the new subfloor. Much more comfy than the concrete. Again, the floor looks great, you guys are just cruisin' right along!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Beanie-
I bragged on your beautiful kitchen to my neighbors!

Come to find out, they are redoing the farmhouse they inherited, and their kitchen (should eventually be) similar to yours! Got an awesome tour of the house and their work, thanks to you, so thanks ;)
Cool deal!!! I love looking at what other people are doing too. It's so inspiring!
And thanks for the compliment!!!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Beanie said:
Marianne said:
Gotta ask...did you 'have' to put the sleepers above the existing floor? We put radiant heat in a sandwich between two floors, so needed to put the same size sleepers throughout the rest of the main floor so the height would be the same. We cut 3-4" strips of scrap 3/4" T&G for our sleepers and just put them down on the first subfloor.

Oops, forgot to say that the floor looks great!
The sleepers are on a poured concrete pad. (part of the old garage)
Dang girl! I wish we had thought about heat strips!!!!
Oh, it sucked when we did ours. We had two 250' loops (we did hydronic - water), and it's important to keep the loops pretty close to the same length. We put down pieces of that thin, blue styrofoam insulation, the kind that they use under vinyl siding. Then HD aluminum foil, then the tubing. Pex tubing was a blast...'wrassling' that length was a 2 person job, for sure. Then of course, we had to secure it to the floor...and miss it when we were screwing in the top subfloor.

It's not like it got done in a couple days either. We had to walk on the strips for a couple weeks or so, I bet. Of course, DH had to be out of town all week, so we could only work on the weekends. This stuff always takes sooo much longer than we think it should, huh!

I don't blame you for the new subfloor. Much more comfy than the concrete. Again, the floor looks great, you guys are just cruisin' right along!
Ok - that sounds like a bit more than I want to endure right now. But then again, that why you got the crown! LOL! Ugh....I'm just about at the end of my rope as it is.