Beautiful Moon Tonight? (3/19)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In case you haven't heard, the full moon will rise tonight at a point in it's 18-year elliptical orbit where it is closest to the Earth, so the moon will be the "largest" as we ever see it.

Anyone going to take pictures?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Oh my. I'll be out watching :) I know it lit my room all night last night.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
...by an infinitesimal percentage.

Really, it is not going to be NOTICEABLY any larger than many other full moons; nor will it be any detectably larger than it was *last* night, except for being totally-full tonight as opposed to only practically-full.

Pat

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't get a picture of the moon, but my neighbor was burning his pasture and I took a picture of that. This pasture is 160 acres, and is located about one half a mile away. Just left of center you can see the headlights of his vehicle.
712_100_1018_large.jpg
[/img]

After the fire went out, I took a picture of the same pasture.

712_100_1019_large.jpg
[/img]

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing the moon tonight. Last night it was not peeking through the clouds here but still illuminated everything. I love watching this kind of thing, even if it does happen every 18.6 years and isn't enough to detect with the naked eye. Still cool.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got home a bit late last night so I got to enjoy the moon for a while by the time animal chores were finished. It was very big and bright, but i dunno, I can't really say, it is maybe always looking big and bright when it's full or nearly so, especially as it's just coming up.

I'll be sure to see it tonight just because, like SD says, it's still pretty cool. Maybe I WILL take some pics. :)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Bigger or not it's still a good excuse to pay attention to the moon. I can't believe how many people here in the city have no idea if it's waxing or waning...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
...by an infinitesimal percentage.

Really, it is not going to be NOTICEABLY any larger than many other full moons; nor will it be any detectably larger than it was *last* night, except for being totally-full tonight as opposed to only practically-full.

Pat
Uh, no.... unless you don't believe NASA For me, 14% larger and 30% more brighter than a full moon at the other end of the cycle is not an infinitesimal percentage. No big change from last night, correct, but in the long-term perspective it is something of note.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/16mar_supermoon/

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I, for one, believe NASA and will be out enjoying the man in the moon tonight.