BeccaOH: Update of just STUFF

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Then my nephew and niece fought like 2-year-olds while I drove them to school. :smack How does one adult in a car discipline while staying on the road in traffic? :barnie
Last Sunday we went out for Chinese with Pastor and his wife. After dinner we followed them home for coffee. We discussed discipline.

Pastor and Miss Willie said to talk softly but firmly - and carry a big stick.

He then quoted the scripture "spare the rod you spoil the child".

If that had been me, I would have pulled over the car, stopped, and gave them each a good hard swat on their butt.

If mom and dad get upset, simply ask them to find someone else to take them to school. If that's not an option for them, then politely explain you will no longer tolerate their children's bad behavior in the mornings on the trips to school, and you'll reserve the right to discipline them as YOU see fit.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
E just pointed out that if they rode the bus to school, and acted like that, they would be suspended from the bus.

Can you issue a suspension from your car? :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
First I would like to suggest that you clip your turkeys wing feathers on just the one wing. That will keep them in the pen for sure.

Next some suggestions for those fighting kiddos. When my kids were young we actually had a second small rear view mirror installed that we aimed at the kids. Made it very easy to keep an eye on things in the back seat.

When the kids start fighting there is a very easy and non worky way to stop it quick and eliminate it in the future. Before you start the car tell the kiddos that if must remain quiet in the car while you drive or it just isn't safe for you to be on the road. Then head out. As soon (and I mean RIGHT NOW) as the sound level rises - Do not say a word. signal, pull over to the side of the road, put on your emergency flashers and just turn off the car. Do not say a word. When it quiets down enough that they start asking questions, calmly quietly repeat that if it is not quiet it is not safe. Then just sit silently and wait. When they sit silent for a minute (don't be in a hurry - if they are late to school and get in trouble that is called a natural and logical consequence and is to be expected) re-start the car and proceed on. Repeat the above process each and EVERY TIME the noise level rises or they become unruly. It MAY take a while to get to school that day. So be it.

In an AMAZINGLY short time they will be sitting in the car, looking quietly out the window and enjoying the ride. Then you can too. :D

This stuff is easy and it works. I have 15 years of working with behavior disorders - so this is stuff I KNOW how to do. Good luck!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
often, when my kids acted up i the car, I would not say a word, simply pull over and start reading a book that I always kept with me. AFter a few seconds, the would say--come on! get going! I said, Not with you being so loud in the car. If you will promise to be quiet, I wil start driving again. works like a charm!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have clipped turkey wings before, but it is probably time to do it again. All 5 stayed in last night and were still in this morning.

QA's husband suggested it was a fox as the headless body was still there. Unless it was mauled by a dog and a raccoon got the head, but I'm quite certain the deed was done very early morning.

Thanks for the tips, but what if these kids don't seem to care that they are late? Sometimes I think they want to be late to get attention. They go to a very small Christian school where the teacher has been flexible knowing the parents' work schedule and that when I drive them I'm coming from a fair distance. Next year they plan to go to public school where the rules are going to be tighter I'm sure.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I think a lot of the behavior issues with your niece and nephew boil down to no consistency in discipline at home.

I think if YOU are consistent with how you are with them, then while in your care they will eventually learn (hopefully) what is acceptable and what isn't.

Of course, there is always the option of letting me drive them to school for you one morning as i offered, and I am sure they will love to have you back to drive them again.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Of course, there is always the option of letting me drive them to school for you one morning as i offered, and I am sure they will love to have you back to drive them again.
LOL :gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I have clipped turkey wings before, but it is probably time to do it again. All 5 stayed in last night and were still in this morning.

QA's husband suggested it was a fox as the headless body was still there. Unless it was mauled by a dog and a raccoon got the head, but I'm quite certain the deed was done very early morning.

Thanks for the tips, but what if these kids don't seem to care that they are late? Sometimes I think they want to be late to get attention. They go to a very small Christian school where the teacher has been flexible knowing the parents' work schedule and that when I drive them I'm coming from a fair distance. Next year they plan to go to public school where the rules are going to be tighter I'm sure.
Don't worry THEY WILL care. They are used to being in control of the situation. Even if they never cared about being late before THIS will bug them. This is a situation that they are out of control of. Give it a try.

By the way a skunk will also remove the head and drink the blood of a bird.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Clipped wings on my turkey hens last night. They are looking a bit lopsided. :p