BeccaOH: Update of just STUFF

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I know what you mean....I have been looking into starting over my flock completely with one breed...standard brahmas. We like the large eggs, they seem to forage really well, and are excellent mothers.

I'm cutting my number of ducks to 4, one male and 3 females and do earn some money from the sales of the babies. Right now I have 11 and they are eating me out of house and home. I hate to see some of them go but I have to do it.

I would love to get into turkeys but they just seem so unstable.

I would tend to feel out my customers before I make any drastic decisions about changing to the more expensive feed. It's hard....at least you have consistent customers. I end up giving my eggs away....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Hey, Becca, I understand where you're coming from - I've been in a chicken funk for awhile.

For me, I am able to free-range quite a bit, as I have the space to do it and I know that doesn't help you.

We also throw garden leftovers to the birds and weeds pulled from the garden. Don't know if that is helpful to you or not.

Last night E and I were discussing only keeping the bantam trio and my 4 BLRW (1 cockerel and 3 hens). That would cut way back on feed, and E even offered to purchase a heater for the storage side of the barn where the BLRW will be for winter :th

I'm tempted to go back to buying the locally grown wheat to mix with BOSS and Oats, but I don't know much about the wheat and gmo's, etc. I guess I should check into it, too.

:hugs

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rest in peace Lady Hannah Van Buren.

The hen had been acting a bit mopey the last couple days. Wednesday she even let me pick her up, which was unusually as she was generally rather flighty and independent. She felt quite lightweight and her crop was empty despite it being evening and having food available.

Yesterday I figured I might have to isolate her and work on fattening her up, but when I got home from work, she was dead in the run. :hit

She was one of 4 that came from keljonma - and the youngest of the 4. :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Rest in peace Lady Hannah Van Buren.

The hen had been acting a bit mopey the last couple days. Wednesday she even let me pick her up, which was unusually as she was generally rather flighty and independent. She felt quite lightweight and her crop was empty despite it being evening and having food available.

Yesterday I figured I might have to isolate her and work on fattening her up, but when I got home from work, she was dead in the run. :hit

She was one of 4 that came from keljonma - and the youngest of the 4. :(
:hit :hit :hit She was my favorite!! Rachel and Sam's daughter!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Becca, I am sorry to hear about Hannah. She definitely was an independent girl, but a beauty. Here are some old pics from my files........ :hugs

When Sam Grant, a Golden Campine rooster, mates with

Sam12-27-08.jpg

SamJune2007.jpg

Rachel Jackson, a Partridge Plymouth Rock hen

Rachel12-27-08.jpg

P5060045.jpg

Hannah van Buren is the result...

Hannah12-27-08.jpg

April172008Hannahinsun.jpg

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs I'm sorry about your loss...

I too am having to thin my herd of buns and chickens... NO way I can afford to feed them all.... seems like every time I go to the feed store they have raised the price... People around here sell eggs for $1 per dozen... so I can't even sell some to supplement the feed... 1 buck (when half that price goes to buying egg cartons) isn't worth my time dealing with people...

As for rabbits I do make a profit selling them in the spring to 4h owners... but that's only a few months out of a whole year... in total that profit is no where near enough to cover their fat butt eating habits... :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I need to send a bunch of drakes to the processor, plus I am inheriting ducks from Matt & CJ when they move. Some ducks I love for their personality, some for looks, but the ones I don't like the looks of lay THE BEST, HUGE white eggs :p

I don't sell a lot, but I do have a few people who consistently get eggs from me. They like the jumbo hugo monsters Lexi and Dawn lay. The only problem with Lexi, other than being a gold phase harlequin (I prefer silver), is she is a crappy mom. My best mom lays fuggly eggs. So what is a person to do?!?!