Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The first pics of Blossom....before.

She has done an efficient job of mowing her first paddock and tomorrow evening we will be moving her into active rotation of the yard and orchard. She has an eager and bright eye and has already made a friend in the next pasture....a fat, white steer who plays with my dog alot. Jake has found that Blossom doesn't particularly care to play with him and has a set of nubby horns that show up each time he tries to jump around and get her to play. He clearly needs some training as to whose cow this is.....alpha dog's cow, and as such, will be needing his utmost respect! :rant

5_varied_pics_of_dogs_chickens_kids_horses_146.jpg
[/img]

5_varied_pics_of_dogs_chickens_kids_horses_148.jpg
[/img]

This pic will give you some idea about her relative size, compared with Son #2, Eli~aspiring vet(5'9")...he's kind of leaning over towards her, so she looks bigger than she is .

5_varied_pics_of_dogs_chickens_kids_horses_154.jpg
[/img]

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Glad you got her home! I know she and you both will prosper from each other.

She looks very sweet and gentle.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Bee....she will be beautifull when she fills out..and gets her nice healthy coat back. She looks miserably prgnant...I have never seen a baby drop so low like that...well...once...on Animal Cops, in a horse. It was the same situation....underfed. Im glad you have her there now. What a lucky cow.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Awww....purty! Are those patches on her face and neck color patches or bad coat patches?

She is so bony, poor girl....or should I say...lucky girl, now!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
She is so bony, poor girl....or should I say...lucky girl, now!
Bony is a characteristic of dairy cattle. I'll bet her coat starts to shine in a few weeks after all of that grass and a few glorps of ACV. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
She looks happy to be there that's for sure. She's also a lot bigger than I thought. Not that I know anything about cows. Bee, do you know about when the baby is comming???? Should I say calf?? :idunno

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They weren't sure of her due date, but indicated it could be anywhere in the next few weeks....but you know how that goes! :rolleyes: I think one day we will wake up and she will have had it, despite days of being bagged out, mucused up, and us waiting anxiously.....she will have it when she is ready. You guys know from experience that it hardly ever happens when we expect it! :p

Free, she is shedding a winter coat but she is also real bare of fur in a few places but it doesn't seem to be because of any skin problem, but more as if she was roughed up here and there...possible from other cows, rubbing on trees and posts, etc.

For a milk cow she is barely on the bad side of bony, for her age, but just a little too much for my liking. It won't take much to get to just being "milk cow boney", if ya know what I mean! :lol:

Justus, I've never seen such a low presentation either and it kind of makes you wonder how in the world she will get it up and out! Her udder is still high and tight for her age and her head still looks young to me....no dishing around the eyes or anything.

She is still eating like there is no tomorrow and seems quite content, although a little lonely looking. I can't wait to bring home a sheep for her companion. When she gets a calf it may be better for her.

My sis called last night....you know, the one with the farm where bad animals go to be tortured from mismanagement.....called to give me all kinds of advice on taking care of my cow and even offered to bring her over to her farm so she could get cared for properly. Said she has all the shots, pour-on de-wormers, vit. injections, and chemicals to pour on to ward off fly strike, etc. Even said that I could bring Blossom over to be put on her "good" pasture----when last I looked a few weeks ago, it was about 2 in. tall at the most---so that she could get conditioned.

Do you know how hard it is to hold in a laugh while talking on the phone with someone.....sort of comes out like a big burp crossed with a choking sneeze.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't care if Blossom threatened to assassinate the Pope, she still hasn't done anything to deserve a trip to the Horror Farm! :gig

The last thing I want to do to this poor cow is to pour chemicals on her back that are so virulent and poisonous that they absorb topically and kill parasites internally. I don't even want to know what that would do to her already compromised health! :duc

We'll see what good food, clean water, TLC and nature can do to help ol' bossy! :) Oh...and a little Basic H, ACV and DE! ;)

I know my sis was just trying to be kind but I can't even stand thinking about what is being done to her animals over there....in the name of good science and "love". :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What a sweetheart!! :)

Are dairy cows on the bony side because of milk production, or is that just the way they are built? Just curious. (Would it be the same with goats?)