Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's just how they are built, I'm afraid. Its only slightly evident in the milk breeds of goats vs. meat breeds. Just a little more protrusion on the hip bones, maybe a leaner neck, flanks and back strap.

Some breeds of milk cow are bonier than are others. I think ol' Blossom is just Born to be Boney! :p She will fill out on the back, over the ribs and flanks somewhat, but she will always have the boney rump thing goin' on. We will see how much she changes by the end of summer. She will definitely be more sleek and will have a little more padding, but it may take awhile to see some results with the calf nursing and me milking her.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well I'm sure she'll fill out a bit more. Up here we see cows like that go through the sale barn for $15-$30, poor things.

Yes, bones on dairy goats are usually more distinguished, more so in the hips, they will have a longer neck and often a longer body compared to meat breeds like Boers, especially in lactation, apearance is more graceful than stocky. Boer goats are just plain chunky most of the time! Lol.

I bet Blossum loves her new home and the attention now that she's the only cow around!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Let's hope! She sure will get loved on and spoiled alot. She already looks for me....heard me talking through the window and came over to look in! :lol:

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Let's hope! She sure will get loved on and spoiled alot. She already looks for me....heard me talking through the window and came over to look in! :lol:
*shudder* A friend in high school had dairy cows... Every once in a while I'd look up to the picture window in the living room, and there would be this cow chewing its cud starting RIGHT AT ME.

Nightmares I tell you, nightmares.

(Blossom looks nicer, though)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :yuckyuck :lol: :gig

My boy said the only thing lacking is the chickens perched on her back and the mice on her head......scene from Babe. :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"Do you know how hard it is to hold in a laugh while talking on the phone with someone.....sort of comes out like a big burp crossed with a choking sneeze.... "

So, You just made me choke on an apple. This I will have to remember!!! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly Bee...Its been AGES since I have been around a pregger cow....or ANY cow for that matter. I just know...you will have her up and running in no time. She is gonna be a beauty! I hope she has no problems with delivery!
I cant BELIEVE your sister even would THINK to have you take her over there to the "torture farm" !! And to add chemicals in her condition?? UGH!! So glad you were able to keep from laughing in her ear! LOL
HennyPenny....im sorry, but I had to laugh at that one. Im sure looking out a window and seeing ANYTHING that big stareing back, can be a bit shocking!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Aww, Bee, I think she is beautiful!! I was going to say I am jealous, but then I remembered I was blessed with two calves a couple months ago! Nothing to be jealous of here!!!!! ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do use chemical wormers. I think sometimes there is a place for them. AFTER a fecal exam has proven they are present and then only as part of a good husbandry program. However, I would NEVER worm a cow or any other animal this close to delivery.

I would get the fecal exam, but I would definitely wait until AFTER the birth to do any chemical worming. Give those natural treatments a chance to work. Then ... Get ANOTHER fecal exam - this way you will have scientific evidence regarding the efficiency of the natural wormers. (Something to tell your sister)

If I STILL had a worm problem (possibly resistant worms) - then I would chemically worm both the cow and the calf (when old enough).

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I would get the fecal exam, but I would definitely wait until AFTER the birth to do any chemical worming. Give those natural treatments a chance to work. Then ... Get ANOTHER fecal exam - this way you will have scientific evidence regarding the efficiency of the natural wormers. (Something to tell your sister)

If I STILL had a worm problem (possibly resistant worms) - then I would chemically worm both the cow and the calf (when old enough).
I agree.. although there are some chemical wormers 'safe' for pregos.. we only use chemical wormers as a LAST resort.
I have people telling me I'm a horrible person for using naturals.. oh well. :rolleyes: I don't think I've heard of Basic H, but I'm pretty positive you know what your doing.. so I'll stop telling you my opinion.. Lol.

You might have to tell Eli to be a natural vet instead of the commercial chemical kind XD. I always wanted to be a vet until I found out about all the chemicals that I'd have to be pumping into other people's animals. Bleh.

Give Blossum a hug for me!