Bee~ Journal of then...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Cute story about your son being in love and all...kids are funny that way!

Good to hear that he like his job though :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
Bee, I love, love, love those names. It keeps it simple if you can train them to all come to "Betty!!!"

It's no wonder I like "mutts". I once looked into a Male German Shepherd. They wanted $1500 for him and that was a steal at the time.
I like mutts also....their cost is in my price range....free! :D I know why folks spend the big bucks for breed characteristics but I think I would AI and raise my own "big money" animal. From what I could see online at the "sperm sites" :lol: one could really benefit from some great bloodlines for the price of a straw.

Wonder if they have straws for chickens........ :D I can just see Aly out there doing AI on her flock!!! :lol: I don't think she would hesitate for one moment to do so, either! :)

I really like getting a bargain basement thing that turns out to be worth way more. Even with my animals.... my dog, Lucy, is part GP and she has been such a good animal to have. Everywhere we go people want her, she has had her pic in Star magazine and other local publications and all over the internet.....she had her 15 min. of fame and slept through most of it! But she is still a lovely dog, a useful dog and a kindly dog. If I had to pay what she is worth, I couldn't afford her! :) I got her for free when someone abandoned her on a farm, tied to a doghouse. Lucky me! :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Does GP stand for Great Pyrenese?
Yep! Or Great Pup, good price, got poop, gritty paws, good and pretty....... any of those will do for this hound! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well ya know ... the only way to get a Frankenbird turkey is A.I. -- so I am sure there are straws of THAT for sale somewhere! :lol: :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok, what's a Frankenbird turkey???????? *scratches head*

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Come on now gals... A Frankenbird turkey.

Better known as Broad Breasted White or Broad Breasted Bronze. The commercial "Thanksgiving turkey".

They are so breast heavy that they can no longer do - the - do. Commercial places that provide hatching eggs have professional "turkey milkers" that collect from the male turkeys. Then another group of workers have to A.I. the turkey hens about every 5 days or so in order to obtain fertile hatching eggs. I think it was even featured on "Dirty Jobs".

That is why the heritage turkey breeds are the only way to go. Unless you want to A.I. your birds too.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol: Yup! My mom worked at a series of turkey barns in her teens, she told me all about that work. She said it would take sometimes an hour or more to go through each barn collecting eggs, feeding, laying down bedding, picking up the dead, etc.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I thought that might have been what you meant, I'd just never heard the expression before.

I don't mess with meat birds, period. Turkey, chickens, nope. I'll take something that can re-produce itself over something that has to be slaughtered in 6-12 weeks any day :p

But that's just me.