Bee~ Journal of then...

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's kind of gross if you get to thinking about it. I'm with Quail. If I end up wanting meat birds, I'll just get into breeding nice quality dual purpose chickens. Then, you get food no matter which direction you head with them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't think the meat birds have as good a flavor as the laying breeds. Could just be my imagination but the heavy dual purpose birds seem to have more of a....well.....a meat flavor...as opposed to just tissue with substance but no real savory flavor.

All the Frankinbirds from the store have sodium and who knows what else injected into them to give them some flavor. To me it just tastes salty. No resemblence to how a wild turkey or a farm hen tastes. :(

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
VERY true! Store turkey tastes like salty grease - farm raised birds taste ... well almost sweet. Very full of flavor and well just plain yummy! :drool

I believe a lot of the taste difference is what they eat, but I am sure genetics also play a part. I have always raised heritage breeds when I raise turkeys, but THIS time I have three of the Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys as well as two Slates and two Bourbon Reds. They are getting the same food and greens so I will have a point of comparison.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll admit, I generally do not like Cornish Cross, or BB Whites, but this year and last year we raised several of each, both types of genetically altered birds tasted better than duel purpose. However, I think I would take duel purpose and heritage breeds over them any day. But really, any and all is better than store bought. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today, folks, was the most glorious day! It was the kind of day that caused me to move here.....the bluest of skies, the biggest, fluffiest white clouds with blue bottoms, sun so clear and bright that it gilded every surface and haloed every tree, blade of grass and animal. 78 degrees and breezes that moved the clouds like a slide show to form dapples of shade, fingers of gold straight from Heaven and golden linings to every cloud. It was a day that you could almost drink~ it was so refreshing and crystal clear!

When I lived on the other side of the state, we always called those days "Mountain Days". Now that I live in the mountains, I just call them God Given! :love :bow He is so good to me. :weee

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Could you PLEASE mail me some of that weather.

We are supposed to have a heat index of 106 and 70 percent humidity!:th PLUS the last night it was 83 degrees with ! 77 percent humidity at 2 AM this morning! :hit

Dogs won't hardly leave our air conditioned room and I am worried about my young turkeys and pullets as well. It is hard to keep track of them when they are across town! :barnie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FF, it is warmer here today but still gloriously beautiful with the clouds and the wind. I wish I could send everyone a slice of this in an envelope.

I've often thought of selling pint mason jars of "mountain air" from the different seasons. It would be a cute little gimmick and I can see tourists buying them as souvenirs. A rustic little label with a "legend" of how and when the air was obtained and why it was considered so rare.....sell 'em for $2 each. I bet it would fly around here....I've found tourists will buy most anything! :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
A person made millions selling children a spring to play with.:/

Another person made millions on a plastic hoop.:p

A person even made millions selling a smooth rock with a story book.

Mountain air in a bottle. ;) Nothing strange about that. It should sell like hotcakes!:thumbsup

I just got back from setting up the electric net for the turkeys and pullets. Now they can be out in the cool grass (well...weeds) and shade. I feel a lot better for them, but I ... well I stink. :sick

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bee, it's all in how you market your product. Good marketing = Good sales. Just look at that topsy turvey thing. Anyone I've known that has used it say that it doesn't work. Let's face it, if plants were meant to grow upside down, they would.