Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What a great day.....it finally rained a little here! :weee We needed it pretty badly.

Ugly Betty still looks clean and fluffy....for now. She looks pretty jaunty in her little red color. :)

My son and I actually went to a movie theatre today, which is something we rarely do as they are pretty expensive...but this one was only $5 a ticket. We watched Ice Age 3 and Eli laughed more and louder than any kid in that theatre! :gig It tickled me to death!

I'm trying to upload a new pic of Shade and how she looks now. She is still pretty but not as fat and glossy as she was here at my house. When I get her and Blossom back here, I'll get them fattened and pretty before their sale this fall.

Tomorrow I hope to get out on my garden and potter around. You know that good kind of pottering where you sucker tomatoes and pull a weed here and there. Tie up a plant, hill up another. I miss getting to do that. By golly, next year I am going to be more organized and have a good tiller before garden season ever arrives! :rolleyes:

This is little Slim Shadey right now in the breeding pastures:

5_shade_2.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thank you! This pic doesn't show it well, but she is pretty black around her eyes and lower jaw. She definitely is a duke's mixture of Jersey and Angus/Simmental.....beefy build, Jersey head and some of the coloring. None of the other calves in the field have this coloring, although they all have the same sire.

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey Bekissed!
Hope you don't mind me popping in here for a moment!

Shade looks like some of my calves!
I have a few descendents of a couple of Jersey show cows and the Jersey still shows up in them, just like Shade!
A real good cross is Jersey X limo!(they get real nice behinds)
If I could get photobucket and my computer to talk,(without crashing) I could show you a picture of my 13 year old, 3/4 limo, 1/4 Jersey! Most beef farmers scoff at the fact I keep this cow, but darn it, you can almost watch her calves grow!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Bee, your little baby is looking nice! Very pretty and getting soo big!

Have fun putzing around in the garden :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
omigoodness!! She's so pretty! and growing! She looks sassy, too!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thank you, Tanks! I kind of hate to sell her 'cause I was looking forward to butchering her and tanning that hide for a rug in my bedroom! :p Sure would be nice to sink my toes in Shade every morning! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thewife said:
Hey Bekissed!
Hope you don't mind me popping in here for a moment!

Shade looks like some of my calves!
I have a few descendents of a couple of Jersey show cows and the Jersey still shows up in them, just like Shade!
A real good cross is Jersey X limo!(they get real nice behinds)
If I could get photobucket and my computer to talk,(without crashing) I could show you a picture of my 13 year old, 3/4 limo, 1/4 Jersey! Most beef farmers scoff at the fact I keep this cow, but darn it, you can almost watch her calves grow!
No, I don't mind anyone stopping in, Thewife! I would love to see pics of your calves....it would give me some idea if she is okay looking for her age and if her conditioning is okay.

I'm new to the Jersey breed, having had Holstein and Hereford while growing up. Shade seems very typical to me but then I see calves bigger than her or beefier and I wonder if they are older or just getting better nutrition, etc. You know...that whole gamut of "am I doing as good as I can as a mommy" thoughts. :lol:

I think a farmer is crazy not to have an old milk cow hanging around in case they have a bummer calf to finish off. And if they do not, the milk cow's calf is getting a really good start in life with all that milk. Not a bad idea to have a little milk cow genes in the herd, in my thinking.