Beekeeping...for those interested!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will give you a link to a fascinating blog site that has great pics and detailed explanations about caring for bees:

http://wvbeekeeper.blogspot.com/

Also, I belong to Beemaster.com, a great place for a new "beek" to get their feet wet. I think that's the first place I met Reinbeau, I'm not sure.....maybe it was BYC and she invited me to the beek forum... :hu

This guy with the blog has offered to get me started with a nucleus of bees for free! Plan to get some equipment come spring and take him up on the offer. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thank you! That's next on my SS to-do list :) I was talking to a beek at our local farmer's market, and he was talking like he had spent quite a wad. I was trying to get him to explain cheap ways of doing the same things. Can a person become a beekeeper without breaking the bank? I know it must be possible if you're going to do it, beekissed!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Thank you! That's next on my SS to-do list :) I was talking to a beek at our local farmer's market, and he was talking like he had spent quite a wad. I was trying to get him to explain cheap ways of doing the same things. Can a person become a beekeeper without breaking the bank? I know it must be possible if you're going to do it, beekissed!
You betcha! Shop around at your local Beekeepers Associations and see if someone will mentor you. They can sometimes give you a line on someone who is selling used equipment or may even have some old hives they don't mind you having and refurbishing.

I have spotted some old hives at this old fellow's house and am going to stop and see what he will take for them. If they are well disinfected and left out to be solarized, I don't know why they couldn't be reused. On that forum they also have categories that deal with organically raised bees, top bar hives and the plans to build one and stories about different kinds of hives and ideas.

Some of the sites make it seem very involved and costly but, in reality, its not a difficult as it seems...I know some mighty old country folk who seem to manage for many years without buying all the expensive equipment and treatments. Heck, my grandpa used to go "box" a swarm using a hollowed out stump! He raised bees and did a great job and I doubt if he could even read and write.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have neighbours with bees, and I drool everytime I drive past their hives. Someday I'm going to do this!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks much! That's what I figured--I mean, people have been doing this since forever and I doubt they used much back then. On the other hand, after getting a foot stung by only ONE honeybee last week, I WOULD like to invest in a good suit :)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am also getting my bees this spring. I have been buying my equipment a little at a time and Ann - reinbeau has been great about helping me, since she lives in the area and knows what meetings are around and all that.
I start classes in a couple of months at one of the beekeepers associations and then the bees should come in April, I can't wait.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will definitely have a suit, veil and gloves! They say, by the very nature of bees, you have to be calm when you work with them or they get agitated. So...by sheer force of the bees, one has to destress! :lol:

My grandpa never used protection. I don't think many of those old timers did.

Just think....producing something so healthy and beneficial, by the gallons, in your own backyard. No cleaning out poop, no hauling hay or feed, building barns or coops or fences, no vet visits.... :)

Also something that sells for $8-$10 a pound around here! What else gives that high a return for a small initial investment? Never have to buy sugar again, that's for sure!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I am also getting my bees this spring. I have been buying my equipment a little at a time and Ann - reinbeau has been great about helping me, since she lives in the area and knows what meetings are around and all that.
I start classes in a couple of months at one of the beekeepers associations and then the bees should come in April, I can't wait.
Lucky, lucky you! I don't have any bee assoc. in my county and the one I contacted in the next county were not a bit helpful. So...will do this anyway!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bees are high on my "someday when we have more land" list. We've got too much shade here to keep them happy I think. I tried to convince my parents to let me keep hives on their property. No go so far. Dad is interested but worried that they wouldn't have enough flowers near by. I need to get him to do some research to figure out there's actually plenty given how far they'll travel.