Beekeeping...for those interested!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been so busy processing chickens that I hadn't gotten to check on my bees and remove an empty feeder.

My youngest son volunteered to do it one day in the middle of the day...just nonchalantly asked me if I wanted him to do it. Wasn't wearing any gear, in the middle of a hot day.......

So I said, "Sure, go ahead!" All the while kind of snickering inside, thinking, "This ought to be good entertainment...."

I stood back a little ways to watch. He sauntered up to the hive, opened it up, moved a follower board, slid other bars over into its place, removed the empty feeder and lifted a middle bar up a little so we could take a peek at production......the darn bees acted like he wasn't even there!!! :rolleyes:

Not that I wanted him to get stung, but I know darn well if I had done something like that I would be running down the yard with a swarm of angry bees chasing me! :barnie

Bee charmer.... :tongue

Anyhoo....when he lifted the middle bar there was honey! I hope to gear up and examine the hive more closely soon but I am encouraged that they are doing so well, seem to be very busy, seem to want to stay awhile. :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey bibbird!

wasnt that great about the beez in Vfarm!?!? and didnt you love their extractor? ours is just the same except plastic. wow!

:)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah, it was super neat! maybe i'll try that whole "just slap the swarm in a basket" technique in the spring... or maybe not. :th

those extractors were very interesting. now i'm trying to figure out where i can buy one and if i can hook it up to a bicycle.