Beekeeping...for those interested!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Bees are high on my "someday when we have more land" list. We've got too much shade here to keep them happy I think. I tried to convince my parents to let me keep hives on their property. No go so far. Dad is interested but worried that they wouldn't have enough flowers near by. I need to get him to do some research to figure out there's actually plenty given how far they'll travel.
You can tell him that flowers aren't the only source of pollen and that bees will find a source of food...will fly up to 2 miles to do so. From what I have read, the availability of close food and water sources reflect directly on the amount of honey you can make, but bees find a way. Sometimes a hive has to have supplements in the winter to get by... but I would talk to those folks on the forum about those questions...see what they say about that. Ask Reinbeau about the feasibility of having bees in your area, I bet she'd be glad to give you advice!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Henrietta23 said:
Bees are high on my "someday when we have more land" list. We've got too much shade here to keep them happy I think. I tried to convince my parents to let me keep hives on their property. No go so far. Dad is interested but worried that they wouldn't have enough flowers near by. I need to get him to do some research to figure out there's actually plenty given how far they'll travel.
You can tell him that flowers aren't the only source of pollen and that bees will find a source of food...will fly up to 2 miles to do so. From what I have read, the availability of close food and water sources reflect directly on the amount of honey you can make, but bees find a way. Sometimes a hive has to have supplements in the winter to get by... but I would talk to those folks on the forum about those questions...see what they say about that. Ask Reinbeau about the feasibility of having bees in your area, I bet she'd be glad to give you advice!
Sounds like I have the perfect place to raise bees...it's too bad that I am scared to death of them :barnie

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, actually, flowers are the only source of pollen, the thing is, it's surprising how all of the plants flower and we don't even notice!

The first flow is in the spring, when the red maples and other trees start flowering with their little nondescript flowers you barely notice - you'll see a blush of yellow green or deep red in a tree, those are the flowers! Pollen is extremely important in the early spring when the queen is laying the eggs for the season's workers. So Henrietta, tell your father even the trees count! There's a map of bloom maintained by a forum member (he belongs to both Beemaster and Beesource) that shows blooms throughout the season for all areas of the country, it's pretty interesting.

Please do become members of Beemaster. John works hard at maintaining an excellent source of info for all things beek. It's a friendly site where they never tire of answering the same newbie question over and over. John also maintains an excellent educational site where you can study up on getting started in beekeeping, he even has a course to study with.

But the most important thing is to get in touch with a local bee club. It's too bad, Beekissed, that you had a bad experience with that one club, I've found most beeks to be very friendly and supportive of a new beekeeper. Did you check this link[/url to the West Virginia Beekeepers Association? There's a link there to local clubs, maybe you can find another one that's more helpful.

We belong to the Plymouth County Beekeeper's Association and go to meetings on the fourth Wednesday of the month, as a matter of fact, we've got one coming up next week (Natalie, will you be there?)

Here's a link to a listing of many associations throughout the country - I don't think it's totally complete, but pretty much so. If you can find a local club and want to become a beekeeper, join up and start learning! It's too late to get bees for anyone who experiences winter, but you'll be all up to speed in the spring to get those hives going. There's such a thrill to experience that first finger full of your own honey - probably the same as the thrill of that first egg (which I haven't experienced yet! :barnie ) :)

Oh yea, and you don't need a lot of land, I'm on .6 acre and have three hives - neighbors are close by. There have been no issues. Honeybees just want to make honey, they aren't out to get you. We'll leave the Africanized bees aside here, with good beekeeping management you shouldn't have a problem with them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, Ann, I have that list, but the surrounding counties didn't seem too welcoming...but then, you would have to know the area! :rolleyes: Folks here don't like us outsiders horning in on their territory....even when it comes to bees. Folks are strange here and that just about sums it up....that whole mountain folk thingy....even though I'm mountain, I'm just not from their mountain! :p

I guess I didn't really consider pine trees as being a flower, but, to be technical about it, I guess they do flower...in a way. :p

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's still on the someday list for financial reasons too but I love researching and being ready. I'll share the info with my father. A friend told me about a course offered by the state I believe and asked if I want to take it with her. I think I will even if I'm not going to get started for a little while yet.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You don't have to own bees to join a beek club. We belong to the Ashtabula County (OH) club. The dues for this club are $3 per person per year OR $5 per couple per year; so membership is very reasonably priced. We found our club through our local Ohio State University Extension office. You may want to check your state extension office to find the local beekeeper association in your area.

Our meetings start with a pot luck lunch. Everyone brings a main course, side dish or dessert to share. Beverages are provided. The meetings last from an hour to three, depending on what the agenda is for that meeting. Our next meeting is tomorrow (10-18). The speakers are two members who have had bees for 40 years. The topic of discussion will be preping the bees for winter.

I think one of the best things about the beek club is that you meet people in all walks of their beekeeping. We have a couple members who are in their 90s and inherited their first hives from grandparents or parents. We are planning to use no chemicals unless we absolutely have to on the bees. So it is interesting to hear from some of these folks who never have used them.

This summer, dh and I 'manned' the beek club booth at the county fair. We had a great time. Not surprisingly, the majority of people were looking for answers to colony collapse disorder.

This was to be our year for bees. Unfortunately, due to a number of weather-related circumstances, I just got the bee equipment (hat, veil, jacket, smoker, hive tool) I ordered in early spring. Since the hives were still on back-order, I cancelled them. I am hoping that a couple beek members who mentioned having extra hives in July still have them available.

Here in Ohio, you are required to register your hives with the state, but you also have the right to deny anyone the right to inspect them.

Recently I posted on beemaster that honeybees have set up a hive inside a large old pine tree in our front farm yard. So I got my bees in a round about way. :) We're going to leave them in the tree until spring. I have been feeding them to help them get through winter.

Edited to add: A few of the books I love are:
The Life and Times of the Honeybee by Charles Micucci
The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum
Beeing: Life, Motherhood & 180,000 Honeybees by Rosanne Daryl Thomas

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am interested in getting bees, but like Me&theGals, I am thinking it is way expensive and way too in depth!

I was actually looking into making a little Mason Bee house for the backyard....at least it is a step in the right direction, no honey but a start none-the-less!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
A friend of a friend has offered use of all his old equipment that he used for decades. My friend would like to share and jump into this together! Whoo, hoo! Another friend is a backyard beekeeper and has recommended a bunch of books. So, have those on hold along with those mentioned by keljonma. It's time to read up, try to find an organization and classes. I'm going to an organic farming conference put on by MOSES in Feb and look forward to 1 session there on beekeeping. How is everyone else doing in their endeavors?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm glad this topic got brought up again . . . I don't think I saw it before.

Beekeeping is something I've wanted to do for a long time, ok well maybe for 5 years now. Since I moved almost 2 years ago, I feel like we don't have enough flowering plants planted yet and therefore probably couldn't support many bees. We have the orchard mason bees and they did well and multiplied last spring for us. I think I will keep reading up . . . I was discouraged by the fact that in WA state we are supposed to register our hives and I think we are supposed to chemically treat them too, which I would not want to do. I will have to look into it again and see what organic options there are.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
drake

don't bees travel far to get their pollen? I don't think you need to support them that much?

heck I don't know..LOL