Beekeeping...for those interested!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Denise, that is the coolest! I will definitely try that.

I cancelled the order with Weavers because they had sold out of their own bees and were selling bee packages from local commercial beeks at the same price. No thanks.

I bought a package from Drapers instead, as they are the closest I could find that were not sold out already. If all goes well, they will be shipping them May25,26th...a little later than I would have liked but still early enough to be up and running in time to get some honey stored before fall.

I so very much wanted to have local bees.... :( I guess I will just have to turn MY bees into local bees, huh? :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm so excited for you that you are getting bees. I wish I could get some already. No money for buying them though. All my money is going to goats this year.
I am still on the lookout for a swarm. I have another month.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am going to build my hives at the end of this month and dress them up real nice with lemongrass and beeswax and hang a "Vacancy" sign out front....who knows? We get all kinds of honeybees pollinating the orchard and one may take a liking to my hives and move right in....... :fl

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Bee, are you talking about Drapers Super Bee? That's where I ordered my package from, except they are local to me! :) I'm going to pick them up this Friday. And a lamb too, so I'll be driving for 2 1/2 hours in a tiny car with a lamb and 3lbs of bees. Wish me luck!

The lady at Drapers said their bees are a carniolan strain. I think if I have to requeen in the future, I'll buy a Russian queen. I really wanted a Russian package, but I couldn't find any that would ship and still had any.

Has anyone had trouble putting the foundation in their frames? The wax is about an inch taller than the frame, should I just cut it off and put the bottom bar on? Am I supposed to fold it somehow?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
Bee, are you talking about Drapers Super Bee? That's where I ordered my package from, except they are local to me! :) I'm going to pick them up this Friday. And a lamb too, so I'll be driving for 2 1/2 hours in a tiny car with a lamb and 3lbs of bees. Wish me luck!

The lady at Drapers said their bees are a carniolan strain. I think if I have to requeen in the future, I'll buy a Russian queen. I really wanted a Russian package, but I couldn't find any that would ship and still had any.

Has anyone had trouble putting the foundation in their frames? The wax is about an inch taller than the frame, should I just cut it off and put the bottom bar on? Am I supposed to fold it somehow?
Yes! And I don't envy you THAT drive! :pop :lol: :gig I don't know anything about foundations, as I am going to do TBHs but there are a few gals on here who can stear you right.....Ann? TSL??

BTW, Good Luck!!! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got my confirmation from Drapers Apiary today that my order was received and I will be getting bees near May 25! :celebrate :weee

Can't wait to see if I can do this thing!!! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Anybody know of a way to "track" bees?

My fruit tree yesterday was alive with them! I sure wish I knew from whence they came, so I could possibly encourage a hive of my own!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bee keeping sounds so amazing! I have all sorts of bugs that I breed and keep, mainly tarantulas and praying mantids.

Problem with bee keeping? Im allergic :( I am thinking about MSU or UNL for entomolgy, and I don't know how I am going to get through the bee keeping classes, other then medical excuse? Sucky, because bees love me too.

I will just live vicariously through all you/this thread!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Problem with bee keeping? Im allergic :( I am thinking about MSU or UNL for entomolgy, and I don't know how I am going to get through the bee keeping classes, other then medical excuse? Sucky, because bees love me too.
i've never gotten stung through my suit. even when i've not been paying attention and squished one under my arm or in the crook of my elbow, they never gotten a stinger through the fabric of the suit. mostly when people get stung, it's their own fault (ie not paying enough attention to where the bees are or how they are acting).

most of the time now i don't wear anything protective other than my hat and face screen. your bees really do get used to you if you are around them enough. i still wear full kit if we are robbing them (they never are happy about that), but i've pulled whole hives apart looking for queens without a suit or a single sting.

now, i would NEVER recommend someone who is allergic go without a suit, but if beekeeping is something that interests you, i would look into it. see if there is someone in your area that will let you come by and visit with their bees. have your EpiPen handy, as precautions should always be taken, but go in there fearless.

i know that's difficult. i'm wildly allergic to spiders so working in the garden has always been treacherous. i get bit about twice a year on average and it's bad news. so now i've got EpiPens stashed all over the farm! there's even one in the hollow stump next to the garden that i always use as a drink holder!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I had hundreds of acres id give it a try, but bees love me to death, literally!

Bees fly into me, randomly, I can walk with 5 other people across a field, barefoot, and ill be the only person to get stung. I totally respect bees, but im a magnet!

Funny fact: The other day I was at a clinic at a ranch with my horse, I went to go get him some grain but there was a bee on his bag of grain. So I go grab my whip to flick it off, it buzzed up into the air so I went "ahhh" and not thinking, ran back over to my horse who was tied to my trailer. LOL, that went over very well with him, as I was running, screaming and waving my whip in the air. :lol: