Beekeeping...for those interested!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Natalie--We most certainly would love to hear all pertinent points from your conference!! I heard Ross Conrad at an organic farming conference this past winter. Not enough time with him, though, and before I got bees and really knew what to ask about.

I've been reading on beesource about probiotics, too. Somebody is spraying their bees with kombucha. I had sprayed with vinegar (not unpasteurized, though), but some folks at beemaster seem very disapproving of that. But, folks at barefootbeekeeper use it almost exclusively rather than smoke. So much to learn and so many different opinions!

Beekissed--I'm the same with our chickens. I want things to be reasonably clean and make sure they have clean water (with kombucha or ACV in it) and lots of organic pasture. Beyond that, we don't do anything else to prop them up. We lose one here and there occasionally (also have about 180 now), but I just figure they have to be able to make it in our environment or I'm not really interested in them passing on their genes. I know it is harsh and I have no criticism for others who treat theirs like pets--it's just not how it works here.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I just made bee's wax lip balm!! It took literally 2 minutes.

Here it is:

1 part bee's wax (I had 4/100s oz)
4 parts food-grade oil (I used canola oil at 16/100s oz)
essential oil (I used about 25 drips of wintergreen)

Place all in glass measuring cup and microwave for 1 min. Stir well. Dump into chosen lip balm containers. I would say this made close to 1/2 cup total. Wow! It is so nice and smooth on the lips and skin. I will be using this on all my blackberry gouges that will be inflicted in the next month :)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
This is the schedule for the conference I am attending.
I am posting it so that you can see if there is anything of particular interest that you may want me to take notes on or just pay more attention to etc.

Updated Conference Schedule

Friday, July 31, 12 pm (exact times of programs TBD)

Lunch - 12 pm
Weather permitting, we can bring our lunches to the bee hives. (No bananas, please...)

Talks begin - 1 pm

Conference Overview and Synopsis Dean (deknow) Stiglitz
Dean will give a comprehensive overview of the conference including a discussion of current problems beekeepers and the beekeeping industry face, the importance and significance of zero treatments, treatment free management practices and possible futures of beekeeping. We hope that as many attendees as possible will be able to hear this talk as it will provide orientation for the conference as a whole.

Microbes and the Honeybee Laurie (Ramona) Herboldsheimer
Honeybee associated microorganisms are necessary for the health and proper functioning of the honeybee and hive. Ramona will discuss the relationships between these microorganisms with each other, and with the bees, as well as how the use of any treatment in the hive interferes negatively with these complex adaptive systems.

Politics of the Africanized Honeybee (AHB)
Dee Lusby will speak authoritatively on the history and politics of the Africanized honeybee. This talk is must for the education and empowerment of all beekeepers.

Dinner ~ 6 pm

Talks resume at 7:30 pm

Breeding Bees, Africa, Brother Adam and more- Erik Osterlund
In conjunction with his work with Brother Adam Erik has traveled extensively collecting genetics from bees from as far away as Africa (the Monticola Honeybee).

From Commercial Migratory to Stationary Top Bar Hives Sam Comfort
Sam will share his journey through diverse worlds of beekeeping. If were lucky, well hear his songs about bugs accompanied on what is rumored to be Brother Adams ukulele (!).

Program for Friday ends at 10 pm

Saturday, August 1, 8 am on

Breakfast - 8 am

Talks begin - 9 am

Regression, Retrogression and Acclimatization Dee Lusby Dee will give an in depth talk on the importance and significance of proper cell size, breeding, and management of honeybees in a natural system. Practical steps will be outlined to help all beekeepers establish bees that are appropriate for their geographical area.

Breeding and Preparation for the Varroa Mite Erik Osterlund
Erik will present his experience and advice with regard to selecting stock, breeding and management practices in preparation for the arrival of Varroa to his area in Sweden.

Lunch 1:15 pm
Weather permitting, we can bring our lunches to the bee hives. (No bananas, please...)

Talks resume at 2:45 pm

Overwintering Nucs and Beekeeping in New England Michael Palmer
Michael runs a highly respected commercial operation just south of the Canadian border. He will share the details of his many years of beekeeping experience dealing with long, cold winters and the unique environment we enjoy in New England.

Everything Works If You Let It Michael Bush
Michael is well known on the internet for his elegant yet simple communication style. In this presentation he will share his philosophy and some of the more important lessons and practical tips he has learned in his many years of keeping bees. For all of us whose beekeeping to do list is too long, this talk will bring a welcome relief

Dinner ~ 7 pm

Talks resume at 8:30 pm

Top Bar Hive Management - Sam Comfort
Sam is well on his way to running more top bar hives than anyone else in the country. He will share his experiences and expertise on the unique issues that apply to top bar hive management.

Saturday program ends at 10 pm

Sunday, August 2, 8 am on

Breakfast - 8 am

Talks begin at 9 am

Observation Hives Michael Bush
Many important discoveries about bees have been made through the use of observation hives. Michael will present the history and evolution of the observation hive and its influence on modern beekeeping. He will also share his own experiences with observation hives and practical tips for setting up one of your own. We heard this talk in Arizona and loved it so much that we want to be able to hear it again.

Bee Photography Dean (deknow) Stiglitz
Photography is a way that we can see learn things about our bees that are impossible to experience in real time with our naked eyes. Dean has been capturing some amazing images of honeybees and other pollinators that co-exist with them with a digital point-and-shoot camera. This talk will feature his photographs and some of the incredible things weve been able to learn about these insects with the aid of the camera and the computer. Most importantly, Dean will share some valuable bee specific tips and techniques for taking pictures of bees with the ubiquitous digital point and shoot.

Question and Answer Panel All Speakers
While we will have the opportunity to ask questions throughout the conference, this will provide us with a chance to ask any final questions.

Conference is officially over at 1 pm on Sunday. We will vacate the conference building at that time but we have permission to continue on the grounds of the estate. We plan to serve leftovers as a picnic lunch and weather permitting, we can visit the bees and open the hives. We hope that as many of you as possible will be able to spend the afternoon with us!

Hive Openings
Six hives have been installed on the venue property and will be available for viewing throughout the conference, weather permitting, schedule TBD

me&thegals

Reaction score
the simple life said:
Microbes and the Honeybee Laurie (Ramona) Herboldsheimer
Honeybee associated microorganisms are necessary for the health and proper functioning of the honeybee and hive. Ramona will discuss the relationships between these microorganisms with each other, and with the bees, as well as how the use of any treatment in the hive interferes negatively with these complex adaptive systems.
Absolutely!! I'm especially interested in use of unpasteurized ACV and kombucha in the hive, whether as a water supplement or a spray while working the hives (instead of smoke)

From Commercial Migratory to Stationary Top Bar Hives Sam Comfort
Sam will share his journey through diverse worlds of beekeeping. If were lucky, well hear his songs about bugs accompanied on what is rumored to be Brother Adams ukulele (!).
Yes--especially his experiences with topbars.

Regression, Retrogression and Acclimatization Dee Lusby Dee will give an in depth talk on the importance and significance of proper cell size, breeding, and management of honeybees in a natural system. Practical steps will be outlined to help all beekeepers establish bees that are appropriate for their geographical area.
Another good one--especially what a person might do/not do when living in northern USA with bee genetics from the southern USA (on natural comb)

Breeding and Preparation for the Varroa Mite Erik Osterlund
Erik will present his experience and advice with regard to selecting stock, breeding and management practices in preparation for the arrival of Varroa to his area in Sweden.
Wow! He's looking ahead! Anything on varroa would be very helpful, although I don't have it yet :fl

Lunch 1:15 pm
Hah! That's cute :) How about demonstrators who thump vigorously on the hives and then continue speaking as if nothing has happened while dozens of participants are stung?!?

Overwintering Nucs and Beekeeping in New England Michael Palmer
Michael runs a highly respected commercial operation just south of the Canadian border. He will share the details of his many years of beekeeping experience dealing with long, cold winters and the unique environment we enjoy in New England.

Everything Works If You Let It Michael Bush
Michael is well known on the internet for his elegant yet simple communication style. In this presentation he will share his philosophy and some of the more important lessons and practical tips he has learned in his many years of keeping bees. For all of us whose beekeeping to do list is too long, this talk will bring a welcome relief
--Ok--this is where I get seriously envious!! Michael B is my bee hero, the guy who convinced me (by his website) that I actually could do this, do it cheaply, and do it naturally. Anything either of these Michaels have to say, I would love to hear it!

Top Bar Hive Management - Sam Comfort
Sam is well on his way to running more top bar hives than anyone else in the country. He will share his experiences and expertise on the unique issues that apply to top bar hive management.
Ohhhh--You're killing me!!! Could I get airfare in time? Yes, please, to anything topbar.

Observation Hives Michael Bush
Many important discoveries about bees have been made through the use of observation hives. Michael will present the history and evolution of the observation hive and its influence on modern beekeeping. He will also share his own experiences with observation hives and practical tips for setting up one of your own. We heard this talk in Arizona and loved it so much that we want to be able to hear it again.
If having observation windows yields some of the same information as having an observation hive, I would love to hear it.

Natalie, Thanks so much for your generous offer to share some of this information with us! I love how much help folks are willing to offer online to people they have never met. Have an absolutely wonderful time!! Is your husband going, too? I think I would give up my left pinkie to be able to go to this!

me&thegals

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yup, the hubby is going with me. He has been working the bees with me alot lately and he went to bee school at the local club so its nice to have a hobby together.
My 7 year old son has his own hive and went to beekeeping school as well but this is too long of a day for him and will be over his head anyway.
Luckily this is happening right in our state, approximately an hour away so we can travel back and forth.
It seems alot of the great conferences are too far away for us to go so this is perfect.
I also know the people who are running it and presenting and a couple of other speakers so I am very excited.
I actually bought a few nucs from Sam Comfort who is the commercial topbar beekeeper that is presenting, I am so lucky this is so close to home.
I am happy that there is not going to be hundreds of people there either, they kept it small enough that I think we will get some decent face time in with the experts.
I am going to chase Michael Bush down anyway, he doesn't have a choice:lol:
I will do my best note taking possible and will get back to you after the conference.

me&thegals

Reaction score
the simple life said:
Yup, the hubby is going with me. He has been working the bees with me alot lately and he went to bee school at the local club so its nice to have a hobby together.
My 7 year old son has his own hive and went to beekeeping school as well but this is too long of a day for him and will be over his head anyway.
Luckily this is happening right in our state, approximately an hour away so we can travel back and forth.
It seems alot of the great conferences are too far away for us to go so this is perfect.
I also know the people who are running it and presenting and a couple of other speakers so I am very excited.
I actually bought a few nucs from Sam Comfort who is the commercial topbar beekeeper that is presenting, I am so lucky this is so close to home.
I am happy that there is not going to be hundreds of people there either, they kept it small enough that I think we will get some decent face time in with the experts.
I am going to chase Michael Bush down anyway, he doesn't have a choice:lol:
I will do my best note taking possible and will get back to you after the conference.
That's wonderful! My husband is a conventional farming guy, but he went with me this winter to an organic grower's conference. It was a very uniting experience! Glad you can share this one. My husband initially was just the main hive builder but has also become as fascinated by the bees as I am. So nice to have a hobby to share!

My 7 year old is mildly interested, my 9 year old much more so.

Well, have an absolutely wonderful time! I will try not to be jealous and just be glad for your willingness to share afterwards. I didn't think I was a groupie kind of gal, but I almost want to ask for a picture of Michael Bush or something :bow Just kidding--but I really do admire his beekeeping style :)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay M&G, I am heading back out for the second day of the conference its 8 a.m.-10:00pm today, I got home too late and too tired to post last night but I have learned soooo much already, especially interesting are the relationship with the microbes in the bee gut and throughout the hive.
This is where they discourage using anything foreign in the hive, such as essential oils, vinegar (I did ask about that) and I am going to ask a couple of more presenters about the kombucha for you but Michael Bush said he did not know enough about it but he just does not put anything in the hives period, I will ask Ramona though.
By the way who sat next to MB last night? I knew you would be mad. lol.
I was trying to get a good picture of him all day for you and he was continuously mobbed by everyone there, plus I too always had someone to talk to, I think I met up with 9 of our beemaster members yesterday, very sweet guys.
So anyway I kept taking candid shots of him trying to get a good and I knew that he saw me a few times so I eventually went up to tell him that I am not a stalker but my friend is:lol: and I wanted to get a picture of him, he was laughing and we ended up talking throughout the intermission and then when we went back to our seats he came up to me when it began and asked if he could sit with me and my husband....I know try and contain yourself haha.
I have got to ask you what do you think he looks like?
Did you have any preconceived picture in your head about him?
I did and I was way off.
Okay, I am off and running, I will try and check this thread later on from the conference but its harder to type on those blackberries, Rob (robo) brought his lap top so maybe I can ask him to post pics for me later.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Now I feel like a silly groupie!! I've never given a hoot about music or film stars, sports people, etc. I guess it takes guys like Michael Bush and Michael Pollan to get me enthused :D

Ok, how he looks.... For some reason, I picture someone similar to my husband. A bit burly, brown eyes and brown hair, and a bushy beard (I think maybe a little word association with his name), very down to earth. Am I close? Is he actually a very thin Scandinavian type with a high voice?

Well, when you have a chance to type more I will be very anxious to hear it. I know, I know about the kombucha. In my zeal to help create a healthy environment, I may just do more harm. I really should be pretty happy with my bee's health based on their hive boxes and environment...

Can you tell me which beemaster folks were there besides Robo? Another person I admire for wisdom on the forum!

Have a great rest of the conference!! I bet the first thing you will want to do when you get home is open up all those hives and fiddle around with them :) Thanks again--me&thegals

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hello, just got in, I could not sign in to the forum today from my handheld, no idea why so I just waited.
Okay, Michael Bush does have a beard and mustache, its grey/white, he also wears his long hair in a braid.
He has wire frame glasses, wears an indian design type necklace, not too tall or anything.
I actually have some pictures I will post tomorrow when I download them all.
He is a super nice guy, I have been lucky enough to be spending some time with him this weekend, he has been sitting with me and Bill for most of the presentations, he leans over and explains alot of stuff for me or gives me his take on it.
Erik Osterland is an extremely smart and well spoken man.
He is such a gentlemen, I really enjoy his talks.
He appears to be on to alot of good things, they all do though.
Yes Robo is there, Rob is a great guy. We all met up from the forum and have had meals together, checked out the hives together and stuff like that, we also all sit in the same area during the presentations.
Rob is a funny guy, the other members are fermented hiker, bee hopper, gaucho, this guy tim that only uses a series of letters on the forum as his name but I can't remember them off hand, not sure if I am missing anyone.
I did ask Ramona about the kambucha and Michael palmer was there as well when I asked and they both were like why in the world are people doing that?
They said it changes the whole gut health of the bees and how does anyone know whether the bees need probiotics, if they don't and you put it in the hive it will throw things off.
One of the topics this weekend is all about microbes and that you should put zero into the hive.
Essential oils change the ph of the hive but also interfere with communication due to the smell, they say bees sense of smell is 1000 times higher than even a dog's.
They said using vinegar can also change the ph of the hive, pretty much all things do.
Artifical feeding is discouraged unless its an emergency because sugar has been proven to kill at least two types of microbes in the bee's stomach's, combs and throughout the hive causing sickness, immunity issues etc.
They say feeding must be a true emergency where they are going to die.
All treatments will affect the ph of the hive and the microbes including the "natural ones" like powdered sugar, thymol, formic acid, oxalic acid etc. all of them.
In short the concensus is to never treat with anything and if the bees die they would have died in the wild as well and are not the types of genetics you want to propagate.
Take your surviving stock and make splits to build the colonies back up.
I will let you know more tomorrow, I am exhausted and there was sooo much information to take in.
We were there for 14 hours today, a long day but very worth it.
The conference has been amazing and well worth the cost, the information and the social aspect as been incredible.
I just got in a few minutes ago and I have to get up and go again in 6 hours so I will check in when I get a chance.