BEEKISSED!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
A good B-Complex, too, preferably isotonic-capable. Many, but certainly not all, farmer-types get D from all the outdoor time, unless you use sunblock in your facial routine. The B's help many with SAD, winter blues.

Calcium and Omega III's are critical to brain function as well. In my consulting work, I have spoken to shrink-types who get great results by putting their patients on these supplements along with the talk therapy and even those who need meds need less with proper nutrition. Less meds means less side effects.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Beekissed said:
I will definitely keep that in mind. I must say, you all make me feel good....I have been wallowing in some serious winter blues lately and the whole *censored* thing was just icing on the devil's food cake, you know?

A gal couldn't ask for better buddies than you girls....oh, and Dac, of course, who sent me a very Dac-like PM! Sweet guy! :rolleyes: :) A very curmudgeonly and sweet PM! :D

Here's a big, ol' cow kissing slurpy for you all!!!!!

~ SLURP! ~ :plbb
You need to get yourself some vitamin D Bee, it has worked wonders for me this winter, best winter I've had in 20 years, and the most snow I've seen in about that long too...but this year I decided to try the vitamin D and it is amazing...got my neighbor on it too...even though he's the one that first convinced me to take it thinking *I* needed it...now he comes here for refills on his! LOL
I will have to check that out, Morel!! Vit. D....now, which one of you know it alls has the 411 on a natural source of Vit. D? Anyone? :idunno Of course I can't answer it! :smack It will have to be one of the other know-it-alls! :old :lol: :gig

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
freemotion said:
A good B-Complex, too, preferably isotonic-capable. Many, but certainly not all, farmer-types get D from all the outdoor time, unless you use sunblock in your facial routine. The B's help many with SAD, winter blues.

Calcium and Omega III's are critical to brain function as well. In my consulting work, I have spoken to shrink-types who get great results by putting their patients on these supplements along with the talk therapy and even those who need meds need less with proper nutrition. Less meds means less side effects.
Here in Canada I am bundled to my eyeballs...that is seriously the only thing exposed many days, and the sun doesn't shine often...so vitamin D is a huge requirement. I did try the B vitamins for a few years and they didn't change a thing for me...BUT every body is different. Mine really requird the D more than anything else.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I need to go tan....haven't done that in a while and it always helps! Haven't been getting enough outdoor time, that's for sure!
:(

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
One of the ONLY natural sources for vitamin D is in egg yolks...OH...and Cod liver OIL...and they have us fooled into believing that egg yolks should be avoided for cholesterol reasons...and the sun...and the sun should be avoided too. Ya right...
Vitamin D is very hard to come by and it is a very very important little vitamin. I just tkae the cheap kind, and it has given me a new lease on life...I'm NOT kidding you all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm thinking I get enough egg yolks.... :rolleyes: But...I'm willing to try anything to get a new lease on life!!! :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Vitamin D Functions

Functionally, cholecalciferol functions more like a steroid in the human body. One of its most important functions is the regulation of calcium absorption and metabolism. Without sufficient Vitamin D, even if there is sufficient dietary calcium available, it will not be properly absorbed and metabolized. Beyond calcium metabolism, Vitamin D is now being recognized as critical to a number of other body systems.4

Geographical Variations:

There is an interesting epidemiological trend that seems to indicate that the incidence of cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, hypertension and certain cancers is directly related to seasonal and geographical variations in ultra violet light exposure. While there are clearly many factors at work, there is growing evidence that a deficiency of Vitamin D levels in response to reduced sun exposure may play a substantial role in these variations.5,6

Disease Inhibitory Effects:

Vitamin D has a powerful inhibitory effect on the growth of many cancers, including, ironically, some skin cancers.7,8 While excessive UV light exposure is a known risk factor for the development of melanoma, a chronic Vitamin D deficiency created by complete avoidance of unprotected exposure to sunlight will very likely lead to a substantially increased risk of developing other cancers or life-shortening disease.

In fact, one rather interesting study published in 2005 estimated that, while the annual economic costs of excessive UV exposure in the United States (mainly the treatment of melanoma) is $6-7 billion dollars, the economic burden associated with premature death and disease directly relatable to vitamin D deficiency was almost 10 times greater.9

This certainly makes sense as the cancers that appear most closely associated with Vitamin D deficiency are colorectal, prostate and breast; some of the most common and deadly forms of cancer in the United States.

Cardiovascular Health:

Vitamin D is also closely tied to cardiovascular health. As noted earlier, death from cardiovascular disease fits seasonal and geographical variability that suggests strongly that lack of sun exposure is a factor in its etiology. There is also more direct evidence of the role of cholecalciferol in cardiovascular health.

Although much of its cardio-protective effect is probably via improvements in calcium absorption and metabolism, Vitamin D also reduces serum parathyroid levels. While this effect is thought to be central to cholecalciferol 's cancer preventative effect, elevated parathyroid levels are also associated with the development of cardiovascular disease. Although once suspected as a risk factor for cardiac disease, newer research indicates that the risk acute myocardial infarction actually shows a strong inverse relationship to circulating Vitamin D levels.14,15

RELATED ARTICLE
Give Yourself A Healthy Heart.
We all know that exercise is crucial for the heart, along with not smoking, or living on fast-food. Those are important but let's not forget about some of the nutrients that we must include for optimum health.
[ Click here to learn more. ]

Bone Strength:

One of the best known health benefits of adequate Vitamin D intake/production is bone strength.16 Remember that the primary disease of cholecalciferol deficiency is rickets, characterized mainly by extreme abnormalities in skeletal development in children.

Later in life, insufficient Vitamin D intake can lead to osteoporosis or, in extreme cases, a form of adult-onset rickets called osteomalacia. Older men, and especially women, are prone to bone mass loss and fracture. Additional Vitamin D, either in the form of a supplement or from additional sunlight exposure reduces the risk of fractures and falls in elderly people.17,18

Immune System Modulation:

Perhaps one of the most intriguing effects of Vitamin D in humans is immune system modulation. Multiple Sclerosis is a disease characterized by progressive loss of muscular control believed to be caused by the immune system attacking the nervous system. The cause is unknown but it is five times more common in temperate zones than in the tropics.19

The Central Nervous System.
The human central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord. These lie in the midline of the body and are protected by the skull and vertebrae respectively.
This collection of billions of neurons is arguably the most complex object known.

The central nervous system along with the peripheral nervous system comprise a primary division of controls that command all physical activities of a human.

Neurons of the central nervous system affect consciousness and mental activity while spinal extensions of central nervous system neuron pathways affect skeletal muscles and organs in the body.

That the incidence of a disease that follows this familiar pattern of distribution is inversely related to cholecalciferol intake/production should come as no surprise.20,21 Most recently, a huge epidemiological study of over 180,000 women showed that those with the highest serum Vitamin D levels had a 30% lower risk of developing MS and those who consumed more than 400 IU per day saw a 40% reduction.22 Vitamin D is also showing promise as a potential modulator of other autoimmune disorders like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.23

Vitamin D Sources

The best and safest way to get adequate Vitamin D is to get sensible exposure to natural sunlight on bare skin. Artificial sunlight, such as that produced by a tanning bed, will also induce cholecalciferol in the skin, so long as it provides adequate UVB light.

During the summer months in most of the northern hemisphere, twenty minutes of UV exposure three times a week is all that is required to ensure sufficient Vitamin D production in persons with light skin color. However, there is insufficient solar intensity during the winter to produce vitamin D in northern latitudes like the upper Mid-West and New England.24

UV (Ultraviolet)
The name means "beyond violet" (from Latin ultra, "beyond"), violet being the color of the shortest wavelengths of visible light.
Some of the UV wavelengths are colloquially called black light, as it is invisible to the human eye. Some animals, including birds, reptiles, and insects such as bees, can see into the near ultraviolet.

Many fruits, flowers, and seeds stand out more strongly from the background in ultraviolet wavelengths as compared to human color vision. Many birds have patterns in their plumage that are invisible at usual wavelengths but seen in ultraviolet, and the urine of some animals is much easier to spot with ultraviolet.

Darker skinned individuals also require either higher intensity light or must spend more time exposed to produce the same amount of Vitamin D.25 During the winter months, individuals living in northern areas must get their cholecalciferol via diet or oral supplements.

Vitamin D is found in cod liver oil and is also added to fortified dairy products in the United States . It is also widely available in supplemental form either by itself or as a part of a multivitamin. It is often combined with calcium supplements to enhance absorption.

Because this vitamin is stored in fat and will accumulate, oral supplementation should be limited to no more than 2000 IU per day. Excessive Vitamin D intake can lead to calcification of the organs and, paradoxically, loss of bone density.