Beer, Wine and Mead Makers Thread

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I have hard the Orange Clove Mead Fermenting for 6 weeks now and the fruit is still floating...should I leave it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know your method....I usually strain out the fruit when it goes into the carboy. The only thing I leave in the carboy is maybe a spice or two, and only for the first month.

I am by no means an expert, though, not having tasted my mead yet, just going by the recipes I found online.....reading many recipes to see how "most" do it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I've read that fun recipe several times over the past couple of years! In the opening paragraph it says it will be ready in 3-4 months. Later in the recipe, it says it is ready when the oranges sink to the bottom. So I will take that to mean that you have a few more weeks of waiting.

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, I've read that fun recipe several times over the past couple of years! In the opening paragraph it says it will be ready in 3-4 months. Later in the recipe, it says it is ready when the oranges sink to the bottom. So I will take that to mean that you have a few more weeks of waiting.
yeah I was just wondering if would be sooner than later.....looks good though. I just bottled 6 gallons of chardonnay...that should last a while ;)

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok my Orange Clove Mead is officially done. All the raisins are now on the bottom. Woot!

Strawberries are are about a week away from coming into season. Anyone have a Strawberry wine recipe. I'm hoping to fill a 5 maybe 6 gallon carboy.

I also have about 5 cup of organic blueberries from last year that are beging to become wine or mead. Ideas. I have a gallon carboy that may work for this one.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Wow. Maybe I should add alcoholic beverages to my SS skills, especially now that we have bees. One day we will have honey to spare! Can you make anything with maple syrup? I have tons of that...

I am going to have to look into this ;)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Thank you! Now I am off to research online where to buy the equipment I need :D