Beer, Wine and Mead Makers Thread

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
No rye involved just Concord grapes and sugar and champagne yeast. We (not sure of terminology) took it from the carboy three times and left the dregs on the bottom. The film is more white than grey, could it still be fermenting. If it is funky what did we do wrong? The strawberry wine was made in the same way and did not get a film. Would restraining through a jelly bag make it stay clear? Don't want to throw it away if possible to save.
I know that many forums do consider it bad taste to send people to other forums but I'm a member of HomeBrew talk forums and they have tons of great information on brewing beer to wine to mead to skeeterpee. you don't have to join to read and it may have more and better information than here right now. and for this question may be able to either save this batch or give you the information to get rid of it.. I know that I get more sediment with my hard water than a friend does with her osmosis filtered water. but not any films on top other then the beeswax on my meads.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
doc_gonzo said:
G weasel,

aahhhhh i'd be kinda leary.... i'm not sure about mead, but as far as wine or beer goes, funky grey stuff growing on top of a primary or secencary ferment is not a good sign in my experience. if there was any rye in the process you might have some organic LSD going on. that could be good or bad depending on youre mind set. just say'n. i worked in a sub shop back in the early '80s and we used a certain rye pita bread that when it went moldy........yeeeeeehaaaaa fun with organic chemestry. c'mon gd~ help me out, youre the chemistry guy here.

doc
Yep and I have done some homebrews One of the two types of yeast floats while working and sinks when it is exausted. I have never tried mead so I have no ideal what is normal for mead. For ale it means it needs more time.
doc rye can produce LSD but it needs fungus [mold?] not yeast.~gd

Latest posts